Thursday, November 26, 2009

Taliban Leader says U.S. is in Defeat

In a transcript of the message posted Wednesday on the Afghan jihadi online magazine Al-Somod, the Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar said "You and your allies are facing an absolute defeat, and nothing will change that even if you send more troops, no matter what your strategies are, because the logic of force will have no impact on the mujahedeen and you will never be able to control the Afghan people by physical force or by your satanic hypocrisy."

In March, the president ordered more than 20,000 additional troops to Afghanistan. This really scares me. Are we just fighting a losing battle? Do you think sending more troops to will help? Or was this message just sent to manipulate and scare the American people? How seriously do you think the government will or should react to this message? It's pretty frightening.

2 comments:

Omid Dastgheib said...

Obviously,the taliban is just trying to scare the U.S. into leaving Afghanistan. I am not positive if more troops will solve the problem, but I am sure they would help. Also, I had no idea that the taliban had its own online magazine.

Alexandra Kor said...

I think that this is only a scare tactic. Although I don't support more troops going to Afghanistan, I want what's best for the country. If Obama thinks we need more troops, then I guess we need more troops.... If the U.S. knew this was a losing battle then I'm sure they would have ended this before they got ahead of themselves. Either the U.S. knows they're fighting a war they can't win and they're just saving face OR the U.S. actually thinks we have a shot at winning.