Thursday, November 5, 2009

As the Smoke Clears from the Fort Hood Massacre


This is a follow-up blog post to my most recent on on the Fort Hood Killings. Once again, the article my post is based on can be found on the title.
As new information continues to unfold, the killings have been attributed to an army psychiatrist named Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan. He was soon to be deployed to Iraq before the shooting occurred.
Hasan was reported dead at first but as reports are now coming in, he is still living.
Obama stated, "It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas," and that "It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil." I completely agree with this statement. I did mention this in my other post but I will reiterate that these soldiers should not be faced with any type of danger when they are home and in their own base. There is still yet to be a motive and so I will hold judgments on Hasan's actions until then, but I will say that regardless of motive what he did was wrong and unforgivable.
As events continue to unfold, I want to know how America will respond to this act of violence and what new information will be revealed to the public. What do you think will be the next big news on this topic?

5 comments:

ArianaR said...

I can't help but to judge Hasan. I completely agree that what he did wrong and unforgivable and that no motive can justify that action. Although I don't support the war, I do support the men who fight. They are willing to endanger themselves, and it is unfortunate that they are in danger at home. I also have to say that I find it a bit ironic that the psychiatrist is responsible for these deaths.
This is definitely something I'm going to pay close attention to.

mcchan92 said...

I can't help but notice some irony in this. I read in the article in Seth's previous post that Hasan "got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars." Obviously, Hasan was against the war or afraid to fight in it, but somehow he can still kill 12 people? The conditions are probably a lot more different in Afghanistan, but still, his actions are rather strange for someone protesting his deployment.

mcchan92 said...

Forgot to leave my name
-Michael Chan

The new Kevin (a.k.a Kevin Kwan) said...

He couldn't possibly be afraid of fighting because I don't think psychiatrists are sent to the frontlines, and the irony that Michael pointed out.

He had to be against the war, and that, I think, is the motive for this murder.

Serena said...

I feel really bad for the men who are fighting to support our country and are willing to endanger themselves, but at the same time, face danger at home. This also leads me to think of Hasan in a different way. What he did was wrong and he shouldn't be forgiven. I will definitely stay tuned to what will happen next.