Monday, November 9, 2009

San Jose Shooting.

Hey! This is my first blog post, and it seems like everyone else is posting more on national or global issues so I would like to present a local issue.

This article specifically focuses on a gang-related shooting in San Jose. While trick-or-treating on Halloween night, a 12 year old was shot and a 13 year old was stabbed. After a week in a local hospital, it is confirmed that both children will survive. However, the local police have not confirmed the suspects.

My psychic abilities tell me that a lot of you guys will comment on how awful this is. Yea, it's awful, but think a little further. San Jose is somewhat known to have gang-related crimes at least a few times a year. What can we do, as citizens, to reduce gang-related crimes?

5 comments:

Talia Y. said...

I would think/hope the city of san jose is working to reduce gang related crimes, but I think it is a lot more complicated than that. Police cannot be everywhere stopping gangs and fights. They can try to reduce gang-related crimes, but I believe citizens can also help this. People should be aware of their surroundings to try to stay away from dangerous situations. There are places to stay away from and times to not be walking on the streets. I think that if people are just smart about where they are, they can reduce their changes of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jebsen M said...

I think that on a night such as Halloween, security should have been much higher (or perhaps it WAS higher, and that was what attributed to the survival of the two children). Either way, much more thought needs to go into the protection of citizens on nights such as Halloween or any other events / holidays.

The new Kevin (a.k.a Kevin Kwan) said...

What should be known is if this was some "collateral-damage" shooting (accidentally hit the wrong target) or if they were specifically targeted.

Either way, the worst time to be getting shot is when they're trying to live the spirit of Halloween. I just hope that this doesn't happen on a more grand holiday like Christmas.

Yoda Yee said...

Kevin, this shooting was definitely a specifically targeted shooting. For a gang initiation, many people have to either shoot, stab or any other form of harm. It is really sad that they would go after children though.

Colin Yan said...

IF people kids are getting shot and stabbed on halloween, i think parents should seriously consider not allowing their kids going out if gang activity is still there. I love halloween myself and love to eat candy, but i value my life more than that.
I think the city should consider putting more effort into stopping gangs. Gangs have always been known to be big trouble.