Friday, November 20, 2009

Swine Flu hits Peak in North America

According to global health officials, the H1N1 virus has appeared to hit a peak in Western Europe and parts of the U.S. Quest diagnostics analyzed 142,000 flu tests and found a decline in the virus since October 27th. The decline is much greater than expected this time of year, however, it doesn't mean the flu has completely gone away. The World Health Organization stated that countries in the east such as Norway, Georgia, Serbia, Afghanistan, and Israel, are all seeing sharp increases in the number of flu cases. Also the flu pandemic is known to hit several peaks, as in 1957, when flu cases surged in the autumn, then declined for a while, and surged again in January. Health officials are now looking to see if the H1N1 is mutating into a drug resistant form. In Wales there were 5 reported cases of people infected with H1N1 who were resistant to Tamiflu. However, 4 of the patients have other factors that affected their immune systems. Authorities are just hoping that this won't be like last years breakout of H1N1, which became resistant to Tamiflu.

Well it seems like Swine Flu is still a very serious problem in the world, but it is beginning to make small steps towards going away. Hopefully this decline continues, spreads to the Eastern countries as well, and authorities find some way to contain the drug resistant strain.
Here is the link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34066494/ns/health-cold_and_flu

8 comments:

SethXY said...

In North America, Swine flu is spreading partly from college students who live in cramped dorms. That is just a breeding ground for the h1n1. However, Tamiflu is not a cure but a preventative. I took it alongside about 170 others this summer and some of us stayed healthy while some of us still got sick. The drug was never 100% by any means. On a more interesting note, people who take tamiflu have reported having very trippy dreams. Fun during swine!? I think so.

Lauren Nishizaki said...

I am surprised to hear that the virus has hit its peak- at least in the Bay Area, it seems like there have been an increase in the number of people absent due to Swine Flu.

Andrew said...

I'm still waiting for my vaccine. I got the seasonal vaccine but my local clinic ran out of the swine vaccines and they're not sure when they'll be resupplied. I'm not going to post a wall of text but there are numerous articles on the web regarding the disgusting amount of chemicals that are present in the H1N1 vaccines. I'm still going for it though. Better safe than sorry ...

-Andrew Oxendine 3°

Colin Yan said...

This is good news that it is at its peak. The flu has not done too much damage so it is good that it is at its peak. Hopefully, it will not go away, then reappear to wreck havoc again.
Many people are getting sick and there are constant news topics of people getting the flu, so this news is a surprise to me.

I hope that it will go away for good soon so that no one else dies or suffers from its symptoms.

Chris said...

I would say it makes sense that swine flu about at its peak because many people has been vaccinated at least in the Bay Area. A family friend waited in line for more than 4 hours since 6 in the morning just to get a free vaccine shot. It was worth it since they have a big family :O. I hope this virus dies as soon as possible.

Victor H. said...

I recently had the flu and when I called the doctor describing my symptoms, he told me I had swine flu. I took Tamiflu as well as some over the counter cold meds. Since I didn't actually go to the doctor's to get checked out, I'm not really sure if I had H1N1 or just the ordinary flu, but in case you guys were wondering, it isn't actually that bad. Sure you have a fever for a day or two (mine got up to 102...not that bad) and then you get congested and a cough. But it isn't really that different from the ordinary flu.

~Victor Hung

sebastian said...

People/administrators/ whoever runs the schools should close them down for a few weeks. I don't see the point of going to school if you're just going to get really sick from it. why do people have sacrifice their health so much to learn about things they'll just forget about in about a year.

JASMINE said...

It's good to know that the swine flu is starting to decline. This epidemic flu has caused many deaths throughout the entire world. With this decreasing rate, the possibility of controlling death rates from this flu may increase.