Sunday, January 3, 2010

U.S. and U.K. Shut Embassies in Yemen Over Qaeda Threats

"The United States and Britain closed their embassies in the capital of Yemen on Sunday, citing continuing threats from Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the terrorist group linked to the attempt to bring down an international flight into Detroit on Christmas.

American military and intelligence officials said they first picked up warnings of imminent attacks about three weeks ago, using information obtained from enhanced intelligence-sharing established with Yemen last year.

The information pointed to four suicide bombers headed to Sana, the Yemeni capital, to attack Western targets, possibly the American and British Embassies. Military strikes thwarted those attacks, the officials say."

This is very good news. I smiled when I came across the sentence regrading the thwarted attacks in the Yemeni capital. I'm gradually changing my opinion about American intelligence now. However, the deaths of those CIA agents still infuriates me. Last post tonight and I know they've been small but I'm still jet-lagged and absolutely wiped. I'm barely able to keep my head up and type as of now. I had a nice winter recess, so yeah, I guess ... I'm ready to go back Tuesday. Actually, not really, but what else am I going to do? I have to learn someday.

-Andrew Oxendine 3°

No comments: