Monday, January 11, 2010

All-American Muscle Comes Out On Top

Remember when all these American auto manufacturers were going to go bankrupt? Well it looks like they're starting to make a hybrid, and they seem to be joining the "Go Green" craze.

Today was the first day of the North American International Auto Show. The winner of 2010 North American Car of the Year award was the Ford Fusion Hybrid, and the Ford Transit Connect took the award for Truck of the year. There were also finalists from Buick and Volkswagon in the Car of the Year category.

I see some pretty good things coming out of this. First, the fact that Ford won is pretty good in itself because last year's winner was Hyundai Genesis. Secondly, since the new model is a hybrid the company will not only be helping cut back on the amount of emissions in the air (helping to bring us closer to the EPA's new levels), but the fact that they have a new car model could be a sign that they may be finally pulling themselves out of the red zone. That would be a nice little boost for the economy for this new year. I remember watching the morning news a week ago, and this economic analyst (I think that's what she was) said something I thought was pretty interesting: "This year is going to be a good year because the markets were showing improvement towards the end of last year, and we like to take that as a good sign." I'm not sure if that was the exact quote, but it something pretty close to that. I thought this would be a pretty interesting article...and I am a little biased since I happen to love cars. (Sorry, but I had to link it to my favorite car EVER!!)

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Well, they're obviously compensating for their previous humiliation. I can tell you that they wouldn't have done this of their own accord. Business? Nope. Their business was promised in their lousy Mustangs, F-150s, -250s, -350s, and many, MANY more. The only reason people bought these pathetic excuses for automobiles was because they're simply "American." Yeah, stupid.

Is this an honest change in business? I'm not sure. I HIGHLY doubt it. They're just waiting for these current, consistent levels of regulation to lower before they start releasing their loads of garbage.