Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apple Unveils New iPad


Today Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled Apple's newest, much anticipated tablet computer. The touch screen measures 9.7 inches diagonally, weighs only 1.5 lbs, and is 0.5 inches thick. It has a 10 hour battery life and can sit for a month on standby without needing to be charged.

The starting price for a 16-GB with Wi-Fi connectivity iPad is $499 ($629 plus 3G), a lot cheaper than the $1000 that it was speculated to cost. For a 32 GB it'll cost $599 ($729 plus 3G) and a 64 GB will cost $699 ($829 plus 3G).

AT&T will offer two 3G service packages without requiring a long-term contract: Up to 250 megabytes of data at $14.99 a month and unlimited data usage at $29.99 a month. The 3G iPad will be "unlocked," though, meaning it can be used with any technologically compatible carrier.

Jobs said that the Wi-Fi versions will be available to ship within 60 days and for the 3G versions in 90 days.

Some of the many things that you can do on the iPad are: surf the web, write and check emails, store and share photos (however, the iPad does not have a built in camera like many expected), watch videos, listen to music with the iPod app, download songs/TV shows from iTunes, buy apps, view maps, plan your schedule with the built in calendar, and you can even buy and read books with the iBooks app (Apple's way of competing with Amazon's very popular Kindle).

I think that with the starting price of $499 that the iPad will attract many people, considering when the first iphone came out it was around $600 and still there were many who bought one right away before the price lowered so much. What do you guys think about Apple's new iPad, will it be a success or a bust?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it will be a success to a certain point because of the features that it lacks like a camera. But the thing is with apple and Steve jobs is that he always inovates and builds off of his last ideas, for example all of the generations of iPods, MacBooks, and I phones. His new ipad will be a great building block for future ipad and I know that jobs will only make this device better. So I think this product is a great starting block for future products

Lily Y said...

I don't think this product will bring much profit. Theres really nothing that distinguishes from the other ones except for its size and "10 hour battery life". (which dies out pretty fast after the first couple monthes)Plus not many people right now can afford one even if its starting price is lower. Not to mention that the people who would consider buying one, most likely already have some sort of ipod.

Georgia Thomas said...

I think this is a intresting product. I can see office's useing them--secretarys can carry them around to make notes on, make appointments etc. I dont think the average person needs an ipad but I can definently see their usefullness in the workplace.

Andrew said...

My dad is obsessing over this thing WAY too much. It's Apple, they will always be developing something different and innovative every six months, so I don't know what the HUGE commotion is about. Technology has always been like this. Remember the first cell phone? It was ultimately like holding a brick to your ear and people were like "whoa." Now, it's the iPad and people are already salivating over Apple's new toy. I'll admit that I'm a Mac fan (typing on one now), but it seems Apple is WAY overrated. I'm not going to deny that the iPad's features are amazing. However, in all honesty, I guess it's natural for people to blow things out of proportion when something is first released.

Serena said...

I believe that this new ipad will only be popular to a certain point, just like any other Apple product. I think many people will also be drawn to the fact that this tablet computer has a lot of similar functions just like any other computer product, including the fact that it is pocket-sized. However, I agree with Georgia. It seems that people won't need to be carrying it around unless they need it for their job professions.

Tim dyer said...

My teacher has been lecturing us on this thing. He seems to thin kit is "Much more useful than an I phone/touch" I personally think that while cool to have it wont bring much profit . I think that the target audience will se it and say "Hmm that's cool maybe Ill get one some time" but never really get to buying it because its basically a laptop


((On a side note: I wonder if Angela smith know that we are all teens ))

sebastian said...

It sounds like an interesting product that might make some money. I don't see why anyone would buy this kind of product though because of the economy and all, and I am sure this product will be as good, maybe slightly better, than all the previous i-pods.