Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Iphone to the resuce

Dan Woolley was recently able to survive through being trapped in the aftermath of a Haiti earthquake by following his Iphone. Woolley works for a childs christian advocacy program called Compassion International and was in Haiti recording the poverty currently in Haiti.
He was trapped in Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince in an elevator and was severely wounded from the earthquake.
He was able to use an Iphone app called "Pocket First Aid & CPR" from Jive Media. This taught him how to cut circulation from severe blood lost and even learned how to deal from experiencing shock, which was to not sleep(He used his Iphone as an alarm clock to make sure of that too). After being trapped for 60 hours, Woolley survived and was able to go back to his family in Colorado Springs.
It is truly amazing how some survive through the tragedies of Haiti and good to read about how useful new technology can be.

5 comments:

Katie Jensen said...

My mom was telling me all about this. Seriously, iPhones change lives. Nobody ever believes me...they should now.

I know a lot of people complain about how our generation is overly dependent on technology, but isn't this an example of how extremely crucial technology can be?

-Katie Jensen

Hen to the Ry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hen to the Ry said...

Well this just goes to the side of how important cell phones can be in times of emergency. Also, I guess it goes to credit all of the applications that apple now has for the iPhone and iPod Touch. What I find surprising is that this is one those times when getting something extra actually helps. This will definately help in the iPhone's "battle" against the Nexus One phone.

-Henry Zhang

Unknown said...

Haha I had a feeling that Katie would comment on this. But I completley agree with both of these comments I just think it is resourceful if you have advanced technology an use it to the fullest. I mean I'm usingmy Iphone to post this comment haha
But on a second note I definately see this helping against the nexus one battle too.

Andrew said...

To Katie:

"My mom was telling me all about this. Seriously, iPhones change lives. Nobody ever believes me...they should now."

They can ruin lives, too. It goes both ways. I'm going to tell my mother this story, however, as she thinks iPhones are WAY overrated. While I have to agree with her, the iPhone can now be said to have saved a life.