Thursday, January 21, 2010

One Year Report

It has really been a year since Obama has taken oath into office. He began his presidency with a country in as bad a crisis since Franklin D. Roosevelt's terms in office. He has had to focus on areas such as the economy, foreign issues such as Iraq and Pakistan, and of course the problem of funding and developing a bipartisan universal health care plan.
He has had his critics in the past year. The critics of the right always saying he is bringing too much change and even ones from the left who demand more out of Obama. Many believe he has lost touch with the Americans due to the fact he has been listening to the people inside his office more recently than those of the public.
"There's a culture in this town, which is an insider culture. That's what I think people outside of Washington legitimately can't stand — a sense that they're not being heard. I think we've done actually a pretty good job of working in this town without being completely consumed by it. But from the outside, if you're just watching TV, and all you're hearing about is the reports, people may get the false impression that somehow [the insiders] are the folks we're spending more time listening to."
People have been questioning his attempts of listening to the people because of the fact he has been spending as much time overseas compared toworking on domestic issues.
I personally believe it the critics that have a bias to complain about the issues they care about most to Obama. Right now those who demand universal health care are criticizing Obama. But really Obama can only do so much at once. He has been a busy president by already attending to the financial and debt crisis by presenting a stimulus package and reviving the predator banks which were a main cause of the recession. He also dealt with Al-queda by increasing troop sizes and regulating Pakistan borders which has been another great achievement.
I just see Obama as a president that is tackling each issue one at a time, which can only be expected.
what are your thoughts on his first year of presidency?

3 comments:

Andrew said...

"I just see Obama as a president that is tackling each issue one at a time, which can only be expected."

Exactly. He's just another president. He's held the office for only one year. I can't constructively criticize him just yet, for it would be so foolish to do so. I'll wait to see how he handles the country in the next three years, however. Until he embraces something completely irrational and impulsive, I'll just keep my thoughts to myself.

PH(OE)BE said...

In all honesty, I don't know what Obama is up to right now. Admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with current events as I should, but I can say that only time will tell if people truly got the change they wanted.

Andrew said...

Well, his recent Guantanamo decision has brought me to question his judgment. I know many of the convicted don't have official convictions and they were mostly based on hear-say, but it's way too risky and impulsive IMO.