Wednesday, January 20, 2010

References to Biblical Passages on US Guns in Iraq and Afghanistan

Literally, the guns of Jesus. It turns out that the gun sight supplier, Trijicon, has encoded references to the New Testament on US Military sights being used in Iraq and Afghanistan. To the civilians in these countries, this undermines the credibility of the US's statement: the US is not at war with Islam, and never will be. The rifles with these sights are being referred to by some soldiers as "Jesus Rifles".

This has created a lot of controversy. Some Christians are proud of this, others are, I'm sure, offended. Soldiers in these countries are forbidden to proselytize, and this seems to undermine that. The order is actually referred to as "Order #1". The US Military's Religious Freedom Foundation is outraged saying that many of the soldiers are disgusted, and that it allows the enemies our soldiers are fighting to claim that this is a "crusade" of sorts against Islam.

Well, yes, this annoys me, and I think most people would be offended. This, to me, seems like an undermining of the separation of church and state. I am proud to say, however, that I am not a crazy conspiracy theorist that thinks this is evidence for an actual "crusade". I think it likely that the government's plea of ignorance is true. Whether or not I agree with current wars abroad, this undermines them. In Iraq and Afghanistan this information will probably be used as propaganda for the US's opponent's cause. I hope that the Biblical references on these scopes will be removed soon.

2 comments:

Amos Yan said...

I'll have to agree with you here Sam. Even though I'm Christian I still don't think that Trijicon should post phrases/references to religion on weapons. The Religious Freedom Foundation has a point. If the Islamic radicals discover Biblical references on our weapons they'll think we're trying to suppress their religion through "crusades".
All the more reason for them to attack us, this reference engraving is probably a bad idea.

Andrew said...

Well, I'm sure you know that I am against this. Christ does not promote violence in any way and ANY true Christian should know that. Sure He supports self-defense, but only if it's absolutely personal. This is why Christians don't belong in the military, it's just not a safe environment. I'm sure this is seen as patriotic by some, particularly by some gun-toting, 2nd Amendment waving southerners, but honestly there are ulterior motives here. A "crusade" might be a bit too extreme though.