Wednesday, January 20, 2010

El Nino

As i heard intense hail on my roof, i read this article about the crazy storms in California in the recent week.
Due to "a warm ocean current from the South Pacific" there have been unusually massive storms throughout the coast of California.
Los Angeles residents have even been urged to leave their houses due to flooding and tornado warnings. Yea tornadoes. My brother, who is at school at Irvine, told my family there was a tornado in Irvine yesterday which is pretty crazy.

i mean some people enjoy these storms for the intense amounts of snow in Tahoe but they are getting to be dangerous, which is never good. It just shows we are experiencing a "strengthening El Nino"

7 comments:

Amos Yan said...

A tornado? Pretty freaky. I have a cousin in Irvine right now but no news from him..
I remember one tornado being in LA but that was a long time ago.
Flooding I can understand though as most of LA is in the flatlands or near the coast...

Tim dyer said...

My parents in Campbell had a tornado warning yesterday

Tim dyer said...

I personally think this wind rain and hail are awesome... I got some awesome pictures of the hail yesterday . I personally am amazed at how much hail could come down and stay solid

Goldie said...

Torandos can cause serious accidents and death but i wonder how wind and hail are able to cause any major accidents or death.

molly said...

It's crazy to hear how minor floods are happening around the Bay Area when it's easy to think about how natural disasters could only happen in far away places. The strengthening of El Nino is a double threat, because it can cause both floods and droughts. This increasing problem can only worsen in the future if not controlled.

-Molly Cheng

PH(OE)BE said...

As I heard intense hail on my roof, I hoped for a black out the next day of school. Of course, it didn't happen.


On the bright side, isn't rain just what California needs? I heard somewhere/some time that we were in a drought. Maybe that's not the case anymore..

Yvonne Lee said...

Although the rain is kinda annoying, I'm glad it's raining because California is low on water. Here's an article I found.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B105D20091202