Monday, January 25, 2010

Boy, 7, raises $200,000 for Haiti

A 7 year old boy from London, England has raised nearly $200,000 (£120,000+) for UNICEF's Haiti Earthquake Children's Appeal by biking 5 miles around his local park. He had originally aimed for only £500, but with the media attention that his generosity has received, that sum has vastly multiplied. Even the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown caught wind and helped spread the word.

"My name is Charlie Simpson. I want to do a sponsored bike ride for Haiti because there was a big earthquake and loads of people have lost their lives," said Simpson on his JustGiving page, a fundraising site which launched his efforts.

"I want to make some money to buy food, water and tents for everyone in Haiti," he said.

The money that Charlie has raised will go to providing water, food, education, and other necessities that children of Haiti are lacking right now.

This article caught my attention because it's amazing how much money this young boy raised through something as simple as riding his bike around a park. The devastation in Haiti is overwhelming, any amount of money can help, no matter how much. If you, or your parents haven't donated already, it isn't too late, Haiti will be needing help for months and years to come to rebuild. Also, I have heard about "Hope for Haiti" wristbands being sold around Aragon, go get one!


6 comments:

PH(OE)BE said...

This reminds me of those groups on Facebook that say "for every person who joins, I will donate 1.00 to helping Haiti."
Then it was: "For every person who joins, I will donate 0.10 to helping Haiti."
and then now I see: "For every persno who joins, I will donate 0.01 to helping Haiti."

....Seriously?

Talia Y. said...

$200,000?? that is SO much money for a little boy to raise! that is amazing! Im really glad that he took the initiative and set a goal to help the people of haiti. I think that articles like these really make people realize that they can make a difference, you don't have to have hte money, but you can do someting that will make people donate it. This is a very inspiring article. I think it.

Andrew said...

Very nice. I'll admit it's something I wouldn't do, despite how bad I feel for the Haitian victims. Props kid.

gee im a tree said...

"This reminds me of those groups on Facebook that say "for every person who joins, I will donate 1.00 to helping Haiti."
Then it was: "For every person who joins, I will donate 0.10 to helping Haiti."
and then now I see: "For every persno who joins, I will donate 0.01 to helping Haiti."

....Seriously?"

Totally agree with you Phoebe. I don't see why they don't just donate that much money out of goodwill if they have a penny to spend for 1.5 million people. It seems like they care more about people praising them for doing such a magnanimous thing than actually giving money to help people.

-Yuzo Yanagitsuru

The new Kevin (a.k.a Kevin Kwan) said...

It was predictable that little poster child won over the "awwwws" and support from many kind and warm-hearted people. It's like how little kids are so successful in selling lemonade off their stands. It's usually not for the lemonade that people stop by to purchase; it's to reward and show their support for the kids who dared to explore the world of business even with an immature mind. This 7 year old raising this much money is no different; adults simply want to reward such an effort for a humanitarian cause - probably because adults thinks it's cute.

Hen to the Ry said...

Well even if the adults are just giving money to the 7 year old's funding for help towards Haiti, it's working very well. This is almost the perfect evil genius' plan, but wait, isn't this for a righteous cause? I still applaud the little kid for raising so much money. However, what I don't understand is how the kid collects all that money. Does he have people donate via his site or does he actually physically collect checks and money payments?

-Henry Zhang