Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stem cell research making progress

If anyone has picked up this weeks Time magazine might have looked at the 50 top inventions of the year. One of the ones that stood out to me the most was the "No.12 Lab-Grown Lungs".

 Over a year or two ago, I remember Pro-Life people complaining about stem cell research in how it is unethical to use embryos of people to grow missing organs. However, scientists did not give up and developing a functioning rat lung. In my opinion, humanity can spare a few embryos that most likely won't turn into babies for stem cell research. Really, imagine the possibilities of saving lives with this research.

3 comments:

Ayaka Chin said...

Stem cell research is an extremely controversial topic because it goes against the belief of some people's affilation with certain religion. But I feel that stem cells can open the door to solutions to many medical problems around the world. In preparation for the recent MUN conference I did some extensive research on the possibile usages of stem cells and I was amazed at many new usages of stem cells. Stem cells can be used in many ways such as growing organs (as mentioned in this article). It is more reasonable because the grown organ can be genetically matched with the person receiving the organ so there will be very little risk of a rejection. But I understand that many people might object to the usage of stem cells for personal reasons. I just want to point out that the usage of stem cells is extremely expensive and is still in the process of research and testing. Only the rich will be able to afford stem cell solutions to medical problems. Therefore, I do not think that it is likely that stem cell medical solutions will be forced onto anyone, it will be a solution by the choice of the buyer.

Bryce Balbon said...

Ayaka obviously knows what shes talking about and i'm in no position to argue against anything she's presented, yet is the possibility of implementing the use of stem cells for the average person really that far away? The only barrier, it seems, is a moral one. Once people are able to fully comprehend the process behind stem cell research, many lives will and can be saved.

Mei said...

I agree with Ayaka that stem cells can result in very useful solutions to medical issues, but I admit that I am uncomfortable with using human embryos for this research. If this research can easily demonstrate its capability to significantly and effectively benefit the human race (without excluding anyone) then maybe it will be easier for people like to me to accept it.