Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Crime does not pay — unless you sell ‘murderabilia’


Wow. If you haven't already read this article, go and read it. It is pretty interesting and weird. Murders who are on death row's stuff can be sold online. From snow globes, to paintings, to notes and journals. After first i thought that this should be illegal, for the sake of the famililes involved, but like the article says it is legal if the murders do not get any personal gain from it and the government can't stop third parties from selling these things online. I also started to think, that there are people out there who try to get into the heads of murders to figure out how or why they do what they do. And this is an easy way to figure that stuff out, so it makes sense in a way. However, i am a big family person, and for the sake of keeping closure closed and not "putting any salt into a wound", maybe there could be an alternate way of doing things. I can't think of any right now. But what do you guys think of this?

5 comments:

Emily Zelter said...

This seems eerie but interesting at the same time. After reading Crime and Punishment, this article sparked a sense of flashback to the novel because it's all about seeing what goes on in the mind of a murderer. I agree with you on the fact that once the case is closed, it should remain closed. I am not sure I would want to go back and specifically see how a murder thought his actions through. The whole idea of selling these types of items just doesn't seem right!

michelleyu said...

First of all, why someone even want to buy this so called "murderabilia"? Personally, I'm a bit split on the issue. On on hand, I sympathize with the victim's families. But if the selling of these items are able to do some good by allowing us to better understand the minds of murderers and be able to prevent future murders from occurring, then I would probably support it.

Kelly said...

I agree with Michelle, I find it way too creepy that people want to buy things like this. I did a little searching and found that many of the victim's families are trying to outlaw this. However, outlawing this is apparently really hard from a legal view. Even though a lot of people find this morally gross, some people think its a good way to draw people's attention to these kinds of stories and to warn them of dangers.

Andrea Nelson said...

Yes i totally agree with all three of you. I think its personally weird and creepy. If i was a family member of the victim, seeing that would tear me up, but it is really hard to get this illegal, because they can't really do anything about it if third parties are the ones who are selling this.

Bryce Balbon said...

I find it hard to believe that this practice is completely and fully "ill-intented". I think it invokes an interesting feeling of nostalgia, yet it allows the buyer to ponder what significance an item could have had to its previous criminal owner. This whole practice isn't actually all that new as i have heard of things like this happening even in the early days of online shopping, however my opinion still stands that items should be allowed to be passed to other willing hands.