Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Taliban claims they no longer pose a threat to the Western World

Ahhh I have found something worth blogging about. In recent news, the Afghan Taliban claim that they pose no threat to Western countries. I find this completely ridiculous because after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and the bombings in Madrid on March 11th, 2004, I think that it is obvious that the Taliban does still pose a threat to Western countries. We have reason to believe that it is very possible that they could attack again, and I think that by saying they are no longer a threat, they are just waiting for Western countries to back down and become unprepared so that they can attack somewhere in the Western world again.
In a recent statement, the Taliban said, "the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan for its refusal to hand over al Qaeda leaders, was hasty and unjustified" (Katyal). Excuse my language, but this is complete bullshit. Even though I would of course prefer to see the war end and I think that its commencement is long overdue, we went to war for a legitimate reason and that's because our country was attacked.
I just find it ridiculous that the Taliban is even making such statements when the majority of the world knows what they're capable of, and I would think that the majority of the world is in no way ready to trust that what they're saying is true.
If you'd like to read the article for more information, here it is. I'd like to read your feedback, so let me know what you think!


7 comments:

Georgia Thomas said...

I understand what you're saying and for the most part I agree. However, it's not like the Taliban is going to come right out and say "yes we are a threat, continue to invade our country". So although their statements might be ridiculous to us, it makes sense for them to say that.

Georgia Thomas

Lily Y said...

Wouldn't a better message be that they will no longer meddle with the Western World?

Anyways I think that the title of the actual article is a bit misleading. Sure, someone can take it that way but according to the quotes that were presented from a Taliban member,

"We had and have no plan of harming countries of the world, including those in Europe ... our goal is the independence of the country and the building of an Islamic state".

That isn't necessarily saying they don't pose a threat to us. o.O

Derek White said...

I think we should disregard this comment by the Taliban. They are a terrorist organization so we shouldn't take their statements at face value. We need to be careful to stay alert even though we haven't been attacked in awhile the threat is still out there.

-Derek White

sabina hussain said...

I believe that you are stating the truth. It is pretty weird how they can come out and say something like that. But Georgia is right they would not just come right out and say "yes we are attacking", but if they are telling the truth hopefully the war will end soon. I think that if there beliefs are realiable the war will end soon and that will bring joy hopefully across every american citzen.

sabina hussain said...

I believe that you are stating the truth. It is pretty weird how they can come out and say something like that. But Georgia is right they would not just come right out and say "yes we are attacking", but if they are telling the truth hopefully the war will end soon. I think that if there beliefs are realiable the war will end soon and that will bring joy hopefully across every american citzen.

Hen to the Ry said...

I agree with Lily. If they wanted to cause more suspicion of their motives, they would have said exactly what they did. Especially when the world knows that the Taliban is gaining its strength back (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95565414). I think that Western countries or any Country that is wary of the Taliban and their possible allies should be on a higher guard due to such a statement. It could the be calm moment right before a strike.

-Henry Zhang

Amreet said...

They want us to think that. It's reverse psychology Catherine. By saying just that, the U.S. would be like, "What a relief." and then BAM! They attack again. OR The Taliban knows we are going to draw the connection and conclude it as reverse psychology so by saying they want peace, they actually do? Do you know what I am trying to say? I just confused myself. Anyhoozles, to be on the safe side, the U.S. should stay on guard and prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We shouldn't confide trust into a terrorist group. You can't just say sorry after killing so many innocent people. Sorry, Taliban but this is the U.S you messed with so beware!