Monday, October 26, 2009

Afghan Decision TBA

The future of our presence in Afganistan will be announced sometime between November 7th and 11th. Although no decision has been made yet, there appears to be a large likelyhood that Obama will increase troop size, but not exceeding 40,000. Apparently this decision is not a matter regarding lessening the number of troops in Afghanistan; instead, it is more of a consideration of fulfilling options other then increasing troop size. Obama seems to be emphasizing the importance of achieving a more realistic goal, however, which should be reachable with the amount of troops which will be specified later in November.

I don't think I'm patient enough to wait until November, however I'm glad the Obama administration has finalized a decision regarding this topic because of the on going discussion this has created.

2 comments:

Alexandra Kor said...

I agree with you, Mona, because I can't wait until November either. Although I can see as to why they want to hold off. The US has learned from the past that not having a more realistic goal can prove to be hurtful in the long run.

Colin Yan said...

I agree as well. It has been relaly long since a decision has really been announced about this issue.

However, if he does increase troop size, i wont be in favor of it.

But it is good that they are trying to get a more realistic goal so i agree with you alexandra. I agree taht if they dont make realistic gaols, then it will be hurtful later.