Monday, February 28, 2011

Sweetened Drinks sell

Just recently I have read these articles about Diet Sodas and healthy alternatives on many reputable websites such as Men's Fitness and Yahoo News. I have been brought to an assumption that pretty much anything is bad for you (within reason and depending on your condition). And I am not saying only natural food is all good for you too because arsenic is natural. Diet soda is a big product in the world especially the US. My question is why are bad products or certain pharmaceutical or herbal products sold that can potentially harm people. Why does the government allow it? Does the some of the money go to the government in the form of taxes or another tie? Cigarettes are sold in the US and they can kill people and the government makes quite a bit off that. The Soda companies such as Coke or Pepsi are huge and diet sodas are a big seller especially for those people who think they are dieting and think they are getting better off. I was a victim to the diet coke trap for a while and now I try to keep it all naturale and I stay at the gym for the extra 10 minutes so I drink my large REGULAR coke at Mcdonalds while I get my Big Mac and large fries with tons of ketchup. And I'll tell you what Coke is an addiction but if you are to drink it, drink the real deal because it not only tastes better, less sugary but it also will not give you a stroke when you are older. You just have to take the stairs instead of the escalader.

My big question is why does the government allow this stuff like Diet Coke? But then again you are responsible for yourself, then if they banned it that would be another extreme I do not want to get into.

I wonder if the US has the most Diet Soda sales in the world?

2 comments:

Jeff Ware said...

Personally I think that putting heavier taxes on things that are quite unhealthy is a great source of revenue. I know that it seems awful to let people hurt themselves by drinking too much soda, for example, but people make a conscious choice to buy the product. As long as some of the sales money can be redirected towards government programs that help people in other ways, then I don't think that letting the sales of diet soda flourish is really that bad. The only issue now is raising more of these taxes.

Alexia Carrasco said...

It depends on the person, and the reason why government would allow to sell it.

The government sells it to hopefully get money and sales tax out of this, but at the same time, the person buying this drink has to be aware of themselves.

How much they buy it,and use it as a daily drink or a once in a while drink?

I think the government puts it on the shelf and lets the people decide their life, and know all the information on the drink. Yet no one knows anything about it.

I just heard today that marshmallows and oreo's have some meat product in it, and the people who it eat probably don't know.

So it's both ours and governments decisions.