Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Only fueling the fire?

Back in Egypt again. Today, President Hosni Mubarak announced that he will not run for re-election, but will still finish his term until September. Despite the thousands and thousands of protesters, still marching in the streets of Egypt with casualties rising each and everyday, Mubarak still chooses not to step down. Mubarak says that "This is my dear homeland ... I have lived in it, I fought for it and defended its soil, sovereignty and interests. On its soil I will die. History will judge me and all of us". Yes, it seems quite patriotic of him. But at what cost? His country is falling to pieces each and everyday and certainly continuing his reign isn't helping at all. In fact, more protesters, all frustrated at Mubarak still being in power, are coming. Even today, President Barak Obama spoke with him today. He says that "What is clear and what I indicated tonight to President Mubarak is my belief that an orderly transition must be meaningful, it must be peaceful and it must begin now". Even Egypt's most powerful ally is trying to convince him to step down but stubborn as he is, Mubarak still insists on living out his term. More demonstrations are happening. Also today, there were clashes with the government and the protesters in Alexandria and more are to come in the near future. I don't think it is wise for Mubarak to live out this term. I think his decision of re-election is only making people angrier at him and only more chaos will come out of this. Also, it is only January and the people are already out of control. I don't think Mubarak will last till September. What do you guys think? Do you think it is wise for him to continue his reign till September? Why do you think he won't step down, despite the circumstances pointing at him to so?

No comments: