Monday, February 14, 2011

BIEBER BLAST!


We all know who he is. I mean, let’s face it, this nation is having a serious case of Bieber Fever. He has spread everywhere, and admittedly, it is getting a little ridiculous (And yes, I do understand the irony that by posting about Justin Bieber, I am indeed spreading him myself). I mean, he was even featured on the Thursday, February 3rd 2011 Daily Show with Jon Stewart. And now with his new movie, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never out in theaters, I think it’s the appropriate time to address a problem that arose with Justin Bieber’s ascension to pop culture.

The young birthchild of modern hip-hop and pop music, this Justin Bieber has exploded onto the contemporary music scene. He earned his way to the top by posting Youtube videos of himself, which clearly displayed his musical talents so well that even Usher, a black musical artist superstar, became his mentor. Bieber was just a “Baby” when he started getting recognition. “One Time” he was just a small boy in Canada, and now, he’s riding the waves of popularity all over the world. It looks like he’s got more than one “Somebody to Love” now.

However, fame does come with drawbacks. Sure, Bieber came with a monstrous amount of “Beliebers” (fans), but he has accumulated an equally gargantuan amount of HATERS. And the phrase “oh, haters gonna hate” just isn’t going to cut it this time. The amount of sheer animosity that I sense on his Youtube videos is astonishing. Conflicts over Justin Bieber even filter into videos that have nothing to do with him! The music video for Justin Bieber’s joint song with Ludacris (Seriously, Ludacris is everywhere now too!) called “Baby” has gotten 462,048,025 views, 489,090 likes, and 936,810 DISLIKES. The amount of dislikes on this video is roughly DOUBLE the amount of likes on this video (the link attached to the title will bring you to the actual video).

Honestly, I don’t mind Justin Bieber. He is getting a little too overexposed for me, but not so much so that I would call him “gay” or “a faggot” or “a lesbian boy that can’t sing.” He can sing, that’s why he got picked up by a record company. Why does Justin Bieber get so much antagonism? He’s a singer, not a politician. His job is to make entertainment for the general public to enjoy. As far as I know, his criminal record is clean, and he’s a fairly nice kid. Maybe we all just need to Beliebe.

So, haters, why hate?

6 comments:

Cris Madrigal said...

I really just hate it when girls are like: "I really wish you were more like Bieber." That's the reason why I hate, I don't like him being a model on how a "guy" should be.

P.s: Also I hate white people music, lol.

A Goya said...

Who?

Don't quite get it as I try not to pay any attention to what is popular, but isn't most hate over celebrities over the fact that they are glorified by the few, which annoys the rest. Kind of like when WoW got mind bogglingly big, their was/is a backlash against it.

mgeorge said...

Justin Bieber is just making a living like everyone else. there is no need to hate him. His singing is alright and his dances moves okay. I think guys are just irritated of hearing about him. He is a boy who gets more attention then somebody needs.

kiko said...

Maybe there just aren't that many wanna-be-Mrs. Biebers around me, but I didn't even realize that guys were annoyed with Justin Bieber because of how much attention he gets from girls!
I have to admit that I often automatically pre-judge celebrities by what my friends or people around me think of them, and Justin Bieber was one of them. Most people around me definitely make fun of him. But it is wacky that we HATE celebrities when they've really done no harm to us. We definitely shouldn't be judging them as people.

By the way, Eric, well-written post. :)

Lewis Yang said...

"You guys are evil. Canada's the best country in the world. We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole, life, you're broke because of medical bills."

-Justin Bieber, via Rolling Stone magazine

p.s
Yea, it turns out he was joking in the first sentence but nonetheless, I found the quote interesting

Unknown said...

I wouldn't call my self a Bieber fan, but I'm not necessarily a hater either. That video in particular I understand why so many people "disliked" it. For one it makes no sense because this is a break up song and he gets with the girl anyways, whats up with that? Also after hearing that song millions of times on the radio it's reasonable to assume that people needed to take out their frustration on the overexposure of the song.