Saturday, February 12, 2011

Peaceful Protests Victorious, But Can Egypt Successfully Establish A New Government?


In an amazing effort, the people of Egypt have claimed a victory of their own after 18 long days. But now that Mubarak is finally out of office and the dictatorial leadership is gone, what now? In the article attached the Egyptian military says it "vowed to oversee a peaceful transition to civilian rule," but will this transition run smoothly or will a new individual seize the moment to establish another dictatorship? It is impressive enough how the people of Egypt have demonstrated in such a peaceful manner, but I believe that now they face the true test; establishing a new government. This is no easy feat, as it took the U.S. many years to establish a government that worked on its own, and even then we faced struggles that put our nation's endurance to the test. But who knows? Since our revolution was bloodier and longer, perhaps their transition will run very smoothly; so what I want to know is how y'all out there think this whole ordeal will play out.

4 comments:

Ayaka Chin said...

I am glad to see the Egyptian people claim their victory. I think that we have to trust the people of Egypt (and their military) that they will create a functional government of the people. I think that the people have proven that they want a government of the people, not a dictatorship. But I do think that there is a danger of another dictator to rise and try to take over the country. I think to prevent that, the US should serve as a guide. I do not mean to say that the US should take control of governmental affairs in Egypt but to aid them if they ask for it. But I am glad to see people rise up and fight for what they believe in.

stephen said...

Well we'll see what happens. I totally agree with you Michael--it definitely took us a lot of compromise to establish a working government. I have a feeling that the Egyptian people will definitely create some sort of democratic rule because they have definitely shown that they can and will revolt if another dictator comes along. I believe that just like the creation of the Articles of Confederation and Constitution, that the creation of a new government will occur, possibly quicker due to the technological advances we have gone through within the past centuries. I can only hope for the best for these Egyptian people, and hopefully they can build their country in a way that can appease everyone. If not, I can definitely foresee a violent onslaught within the nearby future...

kiko said...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110214/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt

I didn't read the entire article, as it is pretty lengthy, but I'm more hesitant to say that this transitional period will be smooth. History has shown that these transitional periods can also be pretty turbulent. The article has an optimistic tone, saying that the representatives of the protestors and the new government have met and discussed compromises cooperatively. Don't get me wrong, that sounds like great progress, but it's making me nervous that the military "caretaker" government has "dissolv[ed] Parliament" and "suspend[ed] the Constitution." These are supposed to be short-term measures, obviously, with the intent to restore them after changing the rules to make them more democratic. They're also vague about when elections will be, but I guess that's to be expected since it's only been a few days since Mubarak resigned. I just hope the new government follows its promises.

Chad Bolanos said...

I think that this revolution will turn out to be a mistake. For some reason I think there will a lot of fighting in the near future. Which will also effect us because of oil. Maybe there willbe more fighting for oil now that the dicttor is gone and prices may sky rocket for gas. Who knows? Maybe I'm just being pessiistic, but for some reason I feel like there are still a lot more troubles here to come.