Friday, February 11, 2011

The pool is here! And it's green!













So in what has been incredibly obvious news here at Aragon, the finished pool made it's first appearance at school this week. Yes, it's true, the day we all thought would never come and was taking way too long to get here has finally arrived: the pool is here. Our brand-spanking new pool looks to be an improvement over our last ones, aside from the mysterious green color. (I mean, seriously, can we focus on that for just a moment? The color! It is so strange! Pool water isn't supposed to look like that, not even the old pools' water did! Whatever, now that they've dumped enough chlorine into it, it's looking a lot better. Okay, I'm done now.) The pool has certainly been attracting lots of attention from all of the students and faculty, with plenty of people stopping by to check it out, watch the construction workers put on the finishing touches, and fish out the things that have found it's way into it. Man, here for two days and it already has gross stuff floating in it.

With this new main attraction at school, I must say that I'm glad phase one of the Aragon construction has been completed. The construction for the pool sure was a pain on some days, and I can't believe that just as this one is being finished up, workers are already well into our next construction project. Seriously, where we our construction-free days in between? Who knows how long this one will take. Even so, I guess I'm glad that I was here long enough to get through until the end of the construction for the pool and see the finished product. I gotta admit, it does look pretty nice. Now if only I could say the same for that darn theater...

So, how do you guys feel about all this construction at school? Has it gotten under your skin yet?

What about the pool? Was it worth the wait and the construction or was it never necessary?

Thoughts? Feelings? Sighs of joy? Bitter sentiments?

6 comments:

Amrit Saxena said...

As a swimmer and water polo player, I may be somewhat biased, but I think that the new pool was VERY necessary! The old pool was too small and ramshackle for aquatic programs that are as large and as good as Aragon's. The new pool looks extremely promising and will certainly do a lot of good for Aragon's Swim and Water Polo teams. Nonetheless, the lack of efficiency in the construction process is a major point of concern for me and somewhat relevant to our curriculum last semester. The pool was originally scheduled to be completed before water polo season. Nonetheless, it's now a half a year later and the pool is still not operational. What would you attribute this lack of schedule-honoring to? Contractor incompetence? Bureaucracy at the school district level? Angry construction gods?

In any case, I'm beyond excited for the Swim Team to move back to Aragon!! :)

Jessia H said...

Too bad they didn't build the new theater before the pool.....

I guess I'm a bit biased :)

Anthony Lu said...

^ Hey, at least the theater comes before the new TECHNOLOGY building. See, we're all a bit biased. (Unlimited wants, limited resources. Ha.)

While endless construction may get noisy and annoying, it is a very present sign that, hey, at least someone up there does care enough about our students to implement these projects. Even if it could be more efficiently handled.

Anthony Lu said...

"up there" referring to the government, if that was unclear.

Gurjote said...

I really like the way the new pool looks, even though I'm never going to be able to use it! I also had a lot of fun watching the pool construction and the transformation of the pool to what it is now. My favorite part was watching them fill up the pool with water :) The most annoying part aside from the noise was the fact that all of our grass seems to be gone. Now, center court is basically all dirt.

It does seem that the construction at our school is endless! At first it was the track, then it was the office, then the pool, and now the theater. I don't remember ever coming to school without some sort of construction. However, it's nice to see some of the transformations.

Alexia Carrasco said...

Myself being a recent water polo player our pool was very bad, there had been some type of acid coming out of it during practice once. And so, although the pool does look cool, I am a bit mad that we, Senior WPP didn't get the chance to try out our new spanking pool.

Some of the construction does seem a bit unneccasarry . I mean, is the theater really that bad?Does that really need to be fixed?

I understand how Aragon kinda wants to be "top dog" and having all these new parts added to the school, but is it all needed.

The noise on the roof does get a bit annoying , especially all the drilling during a quiet class.

But I was quite happy that Aragon has finally finished two things on time, the office and pool. But our class seemed to get all the load of reinventing the school.