Thursday, February 3, 2011

Obama Speaks on His Personal Faith

Today, President Obama delivered a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, speaking about his Christian faith and dispelling the belief that he is a Muslim. Obama was a member of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago until spring of 2008, when controversial videos of his pastor were released.

During his speech today, Obama spoke about his daily prayer life in the speech, saying, "When I wake in the morning, I wait on the Lord, I ask him to give me the strength to do right by our country and our people. And when I go to bed at night, I wait on the Lord and I ask him to forgive me my sins and to look after my family and to make me an instrument of his will." He also quoted from the Bible itself: "Those who wait on the Lord will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not be weary, and they will walk and not faint."

Statistics show that one out of every five Americans believe that Obama is Muslim and that number has gone up in the past year. Many have kept these assumptions as Obama never directly revealed his religion and faith until today. Through his recent speech, hopefully these assumptions will disappear.

Watch the short speech below:

3 comments:

Nicole Yue said...

I admit, I am one of the 1 in 5 Americans who believed Obama was Muslim. Based on rumors and assumptions. I feel slightly ashamed, because I accepted a fact ( a false fact) about a person without doing any type of research on my own. It's not that it's of any personal importance to me to know of my President's religious beliefs; but it's the fact that I had fallen prey to rumors. I believed the rumor that he was Muslim primarily because of his last name . It's a shame, because I really feel like I've committed prejudice on some level. But I guess I'm not the only one.

Jack Guan said...

Even if Obama hasn't publicly confessed his faith before, he has attended a Christian church all his life. Those who insist that he's a Muslim did so without reason, and it won't be too hard for them to just say that he's lying about his faith.
I don't doubt Obama when he says he's Christian. He makes some good points about seeking God in his speech here. I hope that his faith will truly guide him in his leading the nation. I don't mean in a theocratic way like the Religious Right, but that it give him guidance on how to love our most vulnerable.

ACatiggay said...

I agree with Jack. I think it's ridiculous that people are still worrying about what religion Obama is or isn't. For a country who wants to separate church from state...we are doing a lousy job since we keep saying he's Muslim or not...the bottom line...is it shouldn't matter and the rumors are what gets people heated over virtually nothing and quite frankly something that is none of our business whether he is or isn't. But the fact that he's gone to a Christian - based church all his life sways my opinion to believe he is Christian or at least not Muslim...