Tuesday, October 5, 2010

World War I Reparations Just Paid!

As we all know, after WWI, Germany was punished quite harshly and had to pay reparations for the damages. Well, interestingly enough, they just finished paying on Sunday! Some people and historians feel that Sunday is the day that World War I truly ended. I don't believe that WWI just ended on Sunday, but that's just me. I think it's really interesting that no one bothers to inform us what Germany's status was in terms of paying the reparations after the war. We all knew they had to pay reparations, but after this fact no one really seemed to care. I'm proud of Germany because they kept at it and paid off the debt. "Germany wanted to prove to the world it was going to be an absolutely reliable creditor."

No one in the United States or Europe seems to really care about Germany paying off the debt. One professor seems to think it's best that there isn't a big deal out of Germany paying off the reparations. He says, "The issue of reparation was so hot politically between the two wars that I think one should keep those old wounds closed."

Either way, it's interesting to hear about the reparations and the lasting effects of the WWI. Do you guys think that WWI ended this Sunday or in 1918? Also, do you guys feel that it's best to keep the reparations on the down low?

3 comments:

Danielle Hassid said...

I definitely disagree with stating WWI will be officially ending this Sunday.. I mean really? In my opinion the end of the war is established when the fighting stops, not when every last penny is repaid 92 years later.

I actually was surprised that Germany just finished paying off the war reparations. In my mind WWI is a pretty outdated topic for "current" events, and I agree with Gurjote that its interesting to hear about the lasting effects of WWI in recent news.

ACatiggay said...

WW1 did NOT end just last Sunday...ok that is a little too long of a war...because if people start stating that as fact, it will go down as the longest war ever (and that is simply not true...) although I do feel the date is significant. I do think it kind of sucks for Germany that no one is acknoledging them about their paying off of the reparations, but it's integrity that got them through to do it anyways...now...I bet they have to get cracking on paying back for WW2!

Ariana Sacchi said...

I do NOT think that WWI ended this Sunday. Like Danielle commented, the war actually ends when the fighting resumes.

I'm glad that Germany finally paid off the reparations for WWI, and I do think that Germany should've been acknowledged a bit more than what it's been acknowledge for at the moment. I think Germany did well in sticking to its end of the bargain and fulfilling its commitments.

Alex: love the last sentence of your comment. lol