Monday, October 4, 2010

Are Greeting Cards a Thing of the Past?


 21st century is the generations of technologcally advanced individuals who  highly value time and efficeincy. But should should our new lifestyle destroy our past traditions?
Though it is easier to set a greeting through email, i personally find it to hold a different meaning. For greeting cards, people put in time and effort in order to take pictures, create theme, and write the message. When you read these letters, theres a sense of homeliness and love.
I personally don't get many of these letters T.T  (sad)     b/c asian families, or atleast my familie isnt into that kind of stuff. But when i do get them, i really does mean alot to me.
Its complete feeling when i get greetings through email, it just feels cold and fake. Even if the message is personalized, it just doesnt feel the same.
Maybe im old fashioned, but i really think people should spend more time and effort on certains things.

Same goes for phone and texting. I know people's time is valueble, but once in a while, call instead of text. Makes it all seem more real and sincere.

2 comments:

Ariana Sacchi said...

I'm also old-fashioned. I like it when my family receives greeting cards from relatives and friends during the holidays. It certainly does have a more meaningful sentiment when it's received via mail rather than e-mail. I also agree with Jasmine in the sense that when people send greeting cards or any other type of card via e-mail, it just does not feel the same way as a card sent via mail. It doesn't have the same effect on me.
I really hope greeting cards do stick around throughout the future. I know that when I'm older and if I've my own family, someday, in the distant future, I will send greeting cards via mail to my family and friends :)

Zoe Bartlett said...

I also agree that personalized greeting cards (especially ones that do not already have a message written on the inside) are more sentimental than a text or an email. However, in this day and age, it's difficult to motivate people to take the time to hand-write a letter. While you are saving more time to get your message across, the quality of your message is not the same as if you were to write or call. Perhaps people today are typically more lazy and just do not care as much, but it is definitely a different feeling when one receives a card rather than a text. I'm interested to see how people will communicate in the future. How will texting change? Will people still call each other? Or will everything be solely based on technology? Who knows, maybe verbal communication will disappear altogether.