Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The best torture around.


After a devastating loss to the Angels in 2002, the Giants have finally managed to claw their way back to the World Series! Come Wednesday, they will be facing the Rangers in a gentleman's duel of sweat, balls (as opposed to strikes) and fisticuffs. With the momentum that the Giants have gained throughout the post season, they are coming up smelling like roses for their series against the Texas Rangers.

Everyone gives credit to the Giants for their fantastic pitching line up, but people tend to overlook the Giants' hitting ability. Arguably our biggest hitter, Pablo Sandoval, has huge holes in his swing. Not to mention the fact that it seems as if Uribe and Sandoval are competing on how many times they can swing at the first pitch, regardless of how far out of the strike zone it may be. People have also been praising Cody Ross for his hitting ability, but they seem to forget that in the regular season he dropped firecrackers compared to the bombs he dropped against the Phillies. It's probably due to the fact that Cody Ross' favorite pitch is anything that comes low inside and all of his home runs in the post season were low inside pitches.

The Rangers however, are not to be taken lightly. Their hitting team is intimidating to say the least. If we stack up pitchers like Sanchez who break under pressure, we're looking at a short series and a new post season home run record. Fortunately for the Giants however, the bias of the umpires in previous matches will be eliminated. The League admitted to some biased calls from the umpires in the Giants vs Phillies series as they did not want two west coast teams playing each other due to the loss in TV revenue.

I understand that my post may seem a little negative in spirit, but I love the Giants. They've hosted both of my all-time favorite baseball players, J.T. Snow and Brian Wilson. Brian Wilson due to the fact that he generally reminds me of a cartoon character and J.T. Snow because his record stands for itself.

How do you baseball fans feel about the upcoming series against the Rangers?

8 comments:

Joseph Hala'ufia said...

As excited as I am for this series, I am a little hesitant about declaring a Giants victory because I know so little about the Rangers! They, like the Giants, were the last team anyone expected to make the World Series and all I know is Cliff Lee is a beast on the mound and Josh Hamilton is a beast with the bat! However, what I do know is that the Giants are a unit and on any given night any one of them can carry the team. Even though this is also their biggest weakness, I feel that the Giants can win it! And just because I have to . . . GO BUSTER POSEY!!!

Sandy Frank said...

In this mornings San Francisco Chronicle, there was an article about how Texans and other people across the country view this years Giants team as stereotypical San Franciscans. With players like Tim Lincecum and with the Grateful Dead logo on some Giants t-shirts and hats, some people think our team is just full of long haired, pot smoking, San Francisco hippies. I found this view of the Giants to be very interesting and even a little bit funny. I hope we beat the Rangers and teach those Texans to simply play us before they judge us. And to carry on the Hala'ufia tradition, and just because I have to ... GO TIM LINCECUM!!!!
- Sandy Frank

Cris Madrigal said...

@ Sandy
Well Lincecum does smoke pot. Lol

My predictions for the series:
Game 1: Rangers <-- Sorry Cliff Lee has been too dominate, he shut down the best hitting staff (Yankees)
Game 2: Giants <-- Cain has been great at home.
Game 3: Toss up <--- Sanchez pitches well away from home, but looking at his last start, I dont know how he will do.
Game 4: Giants <--Bumgarner, he pitched really well in relief.
Game 5: Rangers <--- Cliff lee, at home, nuff said

Bobby John said...

Oh yes. Bottom of the 5th and the Giants are ahead by one all thanks to the beautiful, beautiful man Freddy Sanchez.

With all this excitement, I hope I remember to post another blog post.

Chad Bolanos said...

I know for sure that everyone in the bay area has just watched this game. We were suppose to be the underdog, and we just won by a lot! I feel like everyone is going to be in a good mood tomorrow, even the teachers. As long as we keep playing as we did tonight, we could win the championships! I also admit to not being a very big baseball fan, but I am watching it now because a team from the bay area are in the World Series! Many people such as I who don't watch baseball regularly are probably watching the game also. LET'S GO TIME LINCECUM!

Cris Madrigal said...

I'm so glad the giants proved me wrong.

Mei said...

It may be a little late to post on this now, but I definitely share your excitement for this postseason. Although we are already 3-1, I believe that these wins were due to a bit of luck. I approached this seires with a bit of apprehension due to Texas' win against the Yankees, but apparently many of their pitchers, not just starters but their bullpen as well, seem to have cracked, especially Cliff Lee. Who would have guessed him to be taken out so early in the game? Maybe it was his 8 days of rest, but now he is getting back in the series with Game 5, and hopefully we will still be able to win this! Actually, I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind winning at home!

Ariana Sacchi said...

GIANTS = 2010 World Series Champions!!!
Don't Stop Believing!! :)