Sunday, October 10, 2010

New York Governor Candidate's Anti-Gay Remark

Gubernatorial candidate, Carl Paladino, made A LOT of anti gay remarks to a synagogue in Brooklyn. He stated that he does not want his kids, or any other kids, to think homosexuality is acceptable. One line he did not say in his speech, but was originally going to say, was "There is nothing to be proud of in being a dysfunctional homosexual." What?!?!?!?!? That, to me, is the equivalent of saying there is nothing to be proud of in being a certain type of race. To me, the sting of a comment on your race or sexuality is no different. My advice for Paladino is that you can't say a comment like that or even consider saying something like that if you want to be taken seriously. He is entitled to his opinion, I understand that. But when it gets to bigotry and obnoxious comments, a person needs to know when to stop. Paladino clearly does not know when to draw the line. After all these comments were publicized, Paladino's manager said that Paladino is not homophobic. He may not be homophobic, but comments like those don't exactly make him sound like he welcomes gays.

Paladino also has comments about how God didn't create people to be gay or lesbian. I don't really know how to address that, so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Paladino does not mean for any violence to be taken against gay or lesbian people, he is simply expressing his views. Also, Paladino's opponent, Andrew Cuomo, has gotten a lead in the race. Do you think Paladino's comments are a source for this lead? What do you think will happen in this election? Also, do those comments sound homophobic to you? I know that I will be keeping an eye out to see who will win New York's race for governor!

6 comments:

Zoe Bartlett said...

I have just watched the video including Paladino's debate with Laura Berman, a sex educator and therapist. I don't know how I managed to watch the video without screaming or throwing something, but I definitely violently disapprove of everything that he has said. Sure, Paladino is entitled to my opinion, but that does not mean that everything that he said has gone unnoticed (certainly not) or that it is appropriate.
Paladino told Berman, that he is not judging, but that he is TELLING her that what the "cutest couple" winners of their high school's yearbook are doing are that they are just drawing attention to themselves, that they are trying to irk parents and adults. Well, Paladino, I am TELLING you that your remarks and your views on homosexuality are hypocritical and extremely ignorant. He says that it is okay for heterosexual couples to "flaunt" their heterosexuality, but that it is not okay for a homosexual couple to do so, including the fact that he thinks that the couple did not have to tell others that they were a couple, and that they could have just told people that they were friends. In addition, he also blames the "issue" on experimentation, as if the two girls were not REALLY in love, but that they are just testing the waters.
I am incredibly angry and appalled that Paladino would make such accusations and that he overall had the nerve to say such things about the gay teen community, especially after there have recently been eight teen suicides regarding anti-gay bullying. I hope Paladino is punished in whatever way or form for his remarks, and that he does more than apologize (though I'm sure he won't).

Zoe Bartlett said...

I am aware that Paladino has said more on the issue, but here is the link to the YouTube video I have just watched, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g8VNUkIemw&feature=player_embedded#!

Zoe Bartlett said...

I'm sorry that I'm commenting so much on this one post but to address the other issues that Paladio has said:
1. Being a homosexual does not make you dysfunctional.
2. I am not religious but if God created all, then God created homosexuals. Did anyone watch the newest episode of Glee? The episode was focused solely on religion and its ties to homosexuality. Look, basically, being gay is not a choice, and "you can't pray away the gay."
3. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuomo's recent lead in the race is because of this.

Chad Bolanos said...

I think Paladino will have a lot of criticism because of his anti-remark. I think he tried gaining the support of the jewish group by sacrificing popularity with the homosexual group. But when he tried gaining the the jewish popularity, I think he messed up and made himself appear as a homophobic to many. I believe that we should accept all people no matter how they are. I think by saying those remarks, he lost a lot of popularity to various other groups as well such as many of the younger voters. I think he needs to make an apology before this gets worse for him and he will loose any chances in winning his election.

Jessica Locke said...

When I heard this, I was completley shocked! Chad- I don't think his comments made him "appear" homophobic. I think he IS homophobic. After he apoligized for his "word choice" and said that he supports gay rights, he reaffirmed his belief that children should not be exposed to homosexuals. He also said that homosexuality is not a "valid or successful option". He claims that he does not want to "hurt" gay people, and yet his speech was packed full of hate language.

Zoe- in response to your 3rd post, according to yahoo news, Paladino had planned to say, "There is nothing to be proud of in being a dysfunctional homosexual. That is not how God created us."

( http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20101012/pl_ac/6949804_carl_paladino_homosexuality_not_an_equally_valid_or_successful_option_1).


Besides, whether he "meant it" or not, this man has no place in politics and deserves all of the criticism he recieves.

Mei said...

After reading this post and primarily the comments, I can see that Paladino has many flaws. Not only does he strongly and openly discriminate against homosexuals, his attempts to fix his mistakes only cause him more problems. His effort of showing sensitivity as a way of repentance after expressing such hurtful beliefs are utterly ineffective due to his own contradicting remarks. I can't seem to understand how he claims that he does not intend to "hurt" homosexuals when he makes such insensitive and inappropriate comments.

Not only is he hurting the many people he offended, but he is hurting himself. I agree with Jessica; he does not belong in politics, and he deserves every bit of criticism.