Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Multi-cultural society has failed. WHAT?

So this might be a little old news but I have only got around to reading the article today. Anyways here is the lowdown, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said at meeting with younger members for her party the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) that "Multikulti" the idea that your are living side by side happily has "failed, totally," and that "[Germans] should feel tied to Christian values." But wait thats not the end of it she continues saying, "Those who don't accept them have no place [in Germany]," Personally these statements scare me. But not all of her statements were so radical and in fact some of them I actually agreed with. For example' later she said that the government shouldn't be "subsidizing immigrants" which is a completely rational statement. For me though, I most agreed with her idea that the government has the right to demand certain things from immigrants such as to learning and mastering the language of the land, German, as well as giving up radical practices like forced marriage. In the end though her statements weren't even the scariest part the polls of German citizens were. These polls showed that a third of Germans feel that the country is "over-run by foreigners" and that foreigners should be sent home in hard economic times where jobs run low. Lastly the poll should 60% yes 60% felt that Muslims should have their religious practices significantly curbed. I mean this is really troubling to me. I have always grown up feeling that Europe was one of the most liberal places on the planet. But between the articles I've been reading and reports from family and friends who have recently visited or even live in Europe it sounds to me as if racism and the radical right is growing in the masses. I mean has anyone else heard of this? How do you feel about Chancellor Merkel's comments? Do they or the polls scare you in anyway? Lastly, does anyone think we will see another polarizing political figure rise in Europe ever again to lead them "forward" like in the past?

No comments: