Monday, March 1, 2010

Obama Smokes?

As of today, President Obama seems to be in perfect health, according to his physician. But his nasty smoking habit will cause him to live a shorter life. "What we don't know is how much he smokes," said Len Horovitz, M.D., a pulmonologist at New York City's Lenox Hill Hospital. "But we do know that smoking just a few cigarettes a day can double or even triple your risk of coronary artery disease. That's from a study published in (medical journal) The Lancet and it's astounding. Smoking is the riskiest thing that you can do to damage your health." Obama signed an Anti-smoking Law last June to prevent the rest of the nation from smoking. His main purpose was to keep thousands of teens out there from getting hooked on to this bad habit. However, when asked if he was still smoking, Obama angrily responds that this was about others, not him.

I am somewhat glad that Obama is making an effort to help out our nation in preventing smoking from occuring at an earlier age. However, I am disappointed in the fact that he is not making an effort to quit smoking himself. He is forming an bad image of himself for the country. Presidents are supposed to be setting examples for the nation and this shouldn't be the type of example he is setting. Will this law be all that successful? What are you guys' thoughts on this?

6 comments:

Georgia Thomas said...

I agree that it would be better if Obama didn't smoke, but he has been pretty good about not doing it where anyone can see or take photos. Photos of Obama smoking would definenlty send the wrong image out to kids. Hopefully he can quit smoking in the near future!

Catherine Riviello said...

I think that it would definitely help prove/show his support for the bill is Obama quit smoking, but like Georgia said he has been pretty good about doing it out of the public's eye.
I know that smoking is extremely bad for you and that it is a very difficult habit to break, and I'm sure that Obama just has other priorities that he feels are more important than quitting right now. Hopefully this bill will be successful though because I do think it is an important issue among teens!

Goldie said...

I agree with Georgia that it would be a lot better for Obama to not smoke. This is because smoking will send a bad message to the public especially to kids who see Obama as their idol or "hero." By not smoking, Obama will set a good example to the future and present generation!

Lily said...

I can't really blame him for smoking. As President of the United States at this time, its bound to be really stressful. On another note, I dislike anyone who would smoke in my range or anyone elses for that matter. I'm glad hes trying to keep the fact that he smokes under cover though it would be nice if the role model lived up to his own standards.

Hen to the Ry said...

I hope he does quit smoking, since that is such a terrible and dangerous habit. However, I think that it's great that although Obama smokes, he knows that it's bad and is making an effort to stop other people from damaging their health. Smoking not only shortens the smoker's life, but is a very negative externality on anyone nearby as well. However, if Obama wants to make his image better by a little bit, he should definately stop smoking.

-Henry Zhang

YueLiang said...

This actually legitimately shocked me. I had no idea that Obama smoked. And to be brutally honest, my respect for him dropped. I can understand that being President can be stressful, but life in and of itself is stressful. Presidency is just another job, merely one of higher importance. It makes me sad that the President of the United States, the icon of our country, smokes even if he signed an Anti-Smoking law. Honestly, if he's smoking, it completely diminishes the impact of the law as it is. Regardless of the fact that he has been keeping his smoking out of the public eye, the fact that he does smoke has gotten out and I feel like his image is slandered (for lack of a better word) in my eyes. While I can understand that smoking is not that big of a scandal, I would rather he just not smoke at all...

-Annie Yang