Sunday, March 21, 2010

Demise of coral, salamander show impact of Web

The internet...could it really be one of the "greatest threats to rare species" in the world?

According to CITES (the 175-nation Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), this seemingly far fetched thought is now quite a reality.

By access of the internet, many poachers and black market venders are able to branch out their clientele base to other parts of the world that were previously unaccessable to them. According to a survery, over 7,000 illegal animal species were traded online over the course of a mere three months. Ebay was also found to be a large sponsor of online ivory trading.

To combat this devistating issue, CITES has planned out an e-commerce proposal that will hopefully put an end to this.

I was surprised when I read the title to this, and was shocked after reading the article itself. I was dissapointed that there wasn't any information about how I could help out CITES, but I'm sure if I researched the subject more I would find ways.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For some reason this really surprised me. I guess I was just so assumed to the idea of black markets found on dirty streets in the middle of bustling crowds or quiet nights. I simply expected that sites that did sell or trade endangered illegal items on the internet would either be fake or found and caught. I too would love to know more about this issue and how to stop it. I definitely believe though that the internet has greatly increased the communication between these traders but at the same time one would expect that governments and other sites would easily watch these sites closely and investigate them.