Tuesday, March 2, 2010

From One World Stage to the Next

For all avid sports fans out there, and maybe some of you who aren't as well, the end of the 2010 Winter Olympics was a sad event. Although there were some unfortunate events that occurred, these games gave us some incredible moments to remember and we learned the amazing stories of some of the best athletes on earth. There was no issue for me with finding something on T.V. to watch and I think it made quite a few of us fall completely in love with Vancouver (guilty). The Olympics once again found a way to bring together a semi-divided world, or at least it kind of did.

So what's next? Football season is over and the never-ending season of a sport we like to call baseball hasn't started yet. So i guess we can hold out until March Madness in a month, or the NBA playoffs. But the end in Vancouver began a much bigger countdown to the Fifa Wold Cup of 2010 in South Africa. There are now less than 100 days until the tournament, that like the Olympics comes only once every 4 years for those of you who don't know.

The road to the Wold Cup in South Africa has been a long and bumpy one from the beginning. Unlike other nations that were more than willing to host with ample facilities, in South Africa all the venues had to be made from the ground up. Although there were many times it was doubted the completion of the project would be finished in time, everything looks good to go now. The World Cup in South Africa will be a historic one that will also hopefully help an economy that could use some positive reinforcement.

The World Cup is the most popular international sporting event; it's where the best in the world collide to fight for their country. Here soccer, like hockey, is on the rise, its a hobby or a past-time, but for most other nations its a way of life. The differences in cultures is unbelievable to me and it makes me kind of upset that Americans seem to be as passionate about very few things as many other nations are about futbol, or soccer for those of you just tuning in.

Let me know what you all think about it, and don't forget to watch the World Cup this June for some amazing soccer!


1 comment:

Kristyn I. said...

I'm always sad when the Olympics end, and even though I'm generally more a Summer Olympics person than a Winter Olympics person (Beijing was so amazing), I found myself much more engaged in the Vancouver Olympics than I had been in previous Winter Olympics (I was so depressed when the US Hockey team lost in the gold medal game, as I'm sure most of us were). I love the Olympics ability to connect so much more of the world than just other sporting events.

I think you've talked about one of the things that I love about sports in general-- there's such a large variety that there is always something to follow... For me right now, it's the Warriors, even though they break my heart practically every time they're in a close game (this is where we miss Baron Davis... and half the team that's out for injuries). But I'm looking forward to baseball season (go A's!), men's collegiate volleyball final four/championship (at Maples this year!) and of course the AVP (beach volleyball).

As for the World Cup, I'm definitely looking forward to following it. I remember the thrilling 2006 final (I still can't believe Zidane got himself ejected), and can only hope for an equally competitive and exciting tournament.

And yes, it is sad that there seems to be a lack of appreciation for soccer... If it makes you feel any better, badminton isn't high on the list either.