Thursday, March 18, 2010

Experts debate dangers of wearing popular sheepskin boots

So I was on Yahoo!'s homepage the other day and I ran across this article about Uggs. I thought it would be really interesting to post here, because SOOO many people wear these boots. I've always imagined how comfortable Ugg boots were, but I never knew that they could actually be bad for you. In the article, Dr. Drysdale stated that people's feet are slipping around inside the shoe and "with each step, the force falls towards the inside of the foot and the feet splay. This flattens the arch and makes it drop. The result can be significant problems with the foot, the ankle, and ultimately, the hip." I found this pretty shocking. However, I remember seeing a girl walking around Aragon one day with Uggs. Her foot wasn't even on the sole of the boot anymore! She was stepping on the side of the boot, as it bent to the right each time she took a step. I wondered how she was walking like that. I guess that is one of the examples of how the boot can damage your feet. Ultimately, the experts in the article state that Ugg boots, whether real or fake, just don't provide enough support for the feet. What do you guys think about this?


5 comments:

Mei Mei Or said...

I read the same article too! I thought this was really interesting cause I have heard the same thing about sandals, flip flops, converse, etc. Pretty much any show that isn't a running shoe is said to be bad for your feet. I can say I am not too surprised, but this is interesting.

The thing that worries me is the possibility of our generation having foot problems when we are older, especially with all the bad shoes we have been wearing

Joshua Lu said...

Whoah. Haha I'm just starting to realize that there are a lot of shoes out there that are bad for the feet.

Wait! I bet those experts would approve of Rainbow flip flops huh? Cause don't they have a lot of arch support?

Anyways, I agree with you Mei Mei. I wonder if more and more people will have foot, ankle, or hip problems in the future from these "bad" shoes. Haha but it's all about the looks nowadays huh?

Katrina said...

o gosh this article really surprises me. yea i always just assumed that if shoes fit comfortably, they would do no damage to your feet. aww that makes me really sad. I assumed that shoes such as Rainbows were good for feet, since it conforms to the shape of it. yea i agree with you Maimei, it worries me as well. but with the help of media informing us about the dangers to our feet, people will hopefully switch to more harmless shoes.

o

Jessica B said...

Flip flops are even worse for your feet. plus, most shoes that people our age wear like Vans or Converse are pretty much flat if you look inside and offer no arch support. Dr. Sholls or other orthodic inserts make shoes more comfortable and better to walk in. Also my pediatrist (foot doctor) says that walking around bare foot, even around the house is really bad for your feet, so slippers are a wise investment.

Julia_SanFrancisco said...

Jessica, that's interesting that your pediatrist say walking around barefoot is bad for your feet- I would think that barefoot is the most natural way to walk. Mother nature designed feet to be walked on without any protective covering whatsoever. Sure, maybe evolution since man first started wearing shoes has caused our feet to become slightly more vulnerable, but I can't imagine that this change is very large at all. This is why our feet callous after months of walking barefoot on rough ground - it's a protective leather covering.