Tuesday, March 30, 2010

SCO vs. Novell update and other news

It seems Novell has won the case over the IP rights of Unix. No surprise there, in my opinion. It seems that over the ages, SCO has made attempt after attempt to claim rights to IP that it just didn't have.

On another somewhat related side-note, it seems that in New York, patents on gene sequences are no longer valid. This raises the question if genes are something to be patented, considering finding out exactly which gene does what can have many repercussions in the financial and medical world, as they can be sold for research or other medical uses. I, however, agree with the ruling as patenting one's discoveries will only hinder the pace of science. I believe that such information, though it may be attributed to one person, should not be attached to that one person for use.

And on another and slightly sillier note, it seems 59 year old Arthur Firstenberg is attempting to sue Raphaela Monribot for her use of wireless devices because he is electromagnetically sensitive. I cannot understand this in the slightest and most likely, many of you will laugh, some of you will find sincerity. Either way, it's quite an interesting case.

1 comment:

Lauren Nishizaki said...

I agree with you, Franklin, on the ruling of the gene sequence patents case. In my opinion, gene sequences are inherently different from more tangible inventions, since the latter seems to be easier to go around and invent a similar yet different product to do the same thing. From what I know about genetics, I think it would be harder to achieve advances in the field without being granted permission to use certain optimal genes that have been discovered and patented. I am reminded of the limits that have been placed on the usage of stem cells in doing stem cell research, and the disadvantage it has placed our country at, especially in comparison to Germany (and others... Germany is the only one I can think of right now)

That last topic reminds me of Fringe, in which electromagnetic sensitivity would be a universally accepted and completely plausible explanation for his symptoms.