Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Young, Gay Asian = New Mayor of Campbell

In a meeting Tuesday night, Evan Low, 26, was promoted from vice mayor to a one term mayor. Low, who currently attends San Jose State University, is working on his master's degree in public administration. He previously earned an undergraduate degree in political science. Upon receiving the promotion, Low commented that he was "...passionate and energetic about everything I do".

Despite his young age, I think that Low is perfectly competent in handling the duties of being Campbell's mayor. The fact that he is both gay and Asian AND extremely young really reflects, or at least in my opinion, how diversity is really spreading amidst our nation. I also really like his attitude toward his new role. He commented that his promoted status "...is not work for me. This is something I enjoy". With that mindset, I think he will excel as a mayor.

4 comments:

PH(OE)BE said...

As an Asian-American myself, I think this is really cool! I feel like not many Asians go into the political scene and hopefully this can inspire other Asian-Americans to do so.
And he's 26?!? That's crazy.

Katherine Wayne said...

I think this reflects the fact that the Bay Area is a good decade ahead of the country with accepting diversity. How did he end up being mayor while still working on his masters?? That's so crazy!

Noelle said...

I also agree that this is pretty cool. Just think, in our parents and grandparents lifetime, some people couldn't even drink out of the same water fountains as others because of race...and now we have grown into accepting people for who they are and growing as a community, theres still work but this definitely is pretty cool...especially that he is Asian American AND super young, 26 (like Phoebe has already pointed out).

Jodi Miller said...

This reminded me of the lecture we had about diversity in Congress and the "Eligibility Pool". As you move down the ladder, there is more and more diversity within government positions.