Monday, December 21, 2009

A look back at one of the worst years ever

"With a bang"
On New Year's Day, a man was shot by police who was riding BART. He was removed from the train to be investigated for fighting. A police officer shot and killed him. The person killed was black. The police officer was charged with murder. This set off demonstrations in Oakland where thirty more were arrested and vandalism occurred.

"Officers down"
In March of this year, four Oakland police officers were shot and killed in one incident.

"Disappeared"
A five year old boy has been missing since August Tenth and has not been seen since.

"Lowest of the Low"
This was the terrible rape of a 16 year old girl. She was attending her homecoming when she was assaulted by as may as ten men.

These are a few of the news stories of this year. After looking over these, I think it is safe to say that this has been a pretty bad year for America.

5 comments:

Franklin Wu said...

For those of you seemingly incompetent with computers and seem to get viruses (coughFacebookcough), I feel it necessary to post a warning NOT TO CLICK THAT LINK ABOVE THIS COMMENT! I repeat, DO NOT CLICK IT!

Jessica Romero said...

This has been a pretty bad year for the people in Okland, not only those incidents but I´m sure there was more. I think I remember that the police men were white and the black man was not armed they say it was just an accident, but its hard to believe. I also heard that after that people were protesting about it. I google some information and that was what I found.

The new Kevin (a.k.a Kevin Kwan) said...

Every year has its own infamous crime (remember Scott Peterson?). I don't think this is the WORST year in living memory; 2001 was much worse because of the terrorist attacks.

And Franklin, how do you know not to click the link? ;) I already think I know what it's about; just skim through the first post really quickly and tell me what you see near the end of the first line.

Joe Seiden said...

If we're gonna talk about the worst years in American history, I'm kinda ashamed that no one has mentioned 1968 yet. Martin Luther King AND Bobby Kennedy were both assassinated that year. Race riots almost destroyed Los Angeles. And public opinion turned against the War in Vietnam with the publishing of the picture of a South Vietnamese officer executing a Viet Cong.

By far, 1968 was the worst year in American history. Running the risk of seeming callous, I would argue that controversial acts of violence and protests or terrorist attacks fall far short in comparison to the assassinations of leaders, spiritual and otherwise, whose death and the aftermath threatened to tear apart the fabric that held this nation together.

Franklin Wu said...

Kevin, it's more than that. You can see the URL that the hyperlink will take you to. If you mouse over it, the URL will appear in the bottom left hand corner of your browser. The first link will direct you to "http://sexytw.info".. and the rest are similar.

And now since I'm responding to comments from actual people, I might as well respond to the post as well..

I don't have much to add so I'll do a little of what Max was lamenting a couple posts back. I agree with all of you. There have been worse years. (yay for parroting, anyway..)

Also, Joe, though that may be the years that key leaders were killed, think of what was accomplished that year as well and years around 1968. Do I agree that it is a tragic year in terms of deaths? Yes, but also, the steps forward in Civil Rights can't be overlooked.