Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Race, Religion, Eight

Prop 8, the now infamous gay marriage ban, continues to cause controversy. Speculation reveals the role of Catholic Bishops and African Americans in contributing to passage of the bill, as reported by The Chronicle. While San Francisco houses many gay Catholics, and Catholic churches are friendly to gays, bishops continued to maintain traditional views on marriage, and were not afraid to share them with their congregations. Clearly San Francisco churches are not in accord with the times—while willing to accept gays in their congregations, they do not appear to accept their lifestyles. This would force many who have gay friends, whom they support, to choose between them and their church. A tough decision. Which leads to tension—the “teaching church and teaching bishops” and “faithful people with very strong personal opinions”; and leaves us with the question: “How do all those come together in a way that is fruitful and authentic?” It appears until there is a resolution to this, progress will remain stalled.

Although, Prop 8. started another form of progress. At a No on 8 forum, participants agreed that they will not allow Prop. 8 to create divisions among the African American community and the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community. This is a good sign, when some feel that the result of a poll justifies blaming the African American community for the passage of Prop 8. This exit poll, produced by CNN said that 70 percent of African Americans had voted yes on 8. A No on 8 campaign worker noted that “In less than 24 hours, you had rampant reporting that African Americans voted yes on 8. You couldn't get away from it”. Despite such reports, most find that this “viewpoint [of voting yes on 8] wasn't reflected among...friends and associates”. In spite of this, others are willing to blame internal issues within the No on Prop 8 campaign itself for the defeat. Some said that the campaign was not culturally competent and that it should have extended into areas in San Fransisco and the greater Bay Area where there is a less friendly attitude toward gays. Despite all this, gay marriage supporters appear to be attempting to reexamine their strategies and work together—instead of pointing fingers—which can only be good news.

6 comments:

Kimiya Bahmanyar said...

Please educate.....


I did not get to vote on Proposition 8, but if I had... I would have voted "No" based solely on the fact that it has no direct impact on me and I simply don't understand "why" people care if gay couples have a "right" to marry.
Can someone on the "yes" side of Prop 8 please explain to me "why" they care so much?
I don't want to hear what the Bible says...if I choose, I'll read the Bible myself. I don't want to hear your interpretation of what the Constitution says because I've read it myself and I know it doesn't specifically give ANYONE a "right" to marry.
What I want to know is WHY you care...what direct impact does it have on YOU?
I'm well aware that the traditional view of "marriage" is the unity between a "man" and a "woman".
I also don't want to hear the excuse that homosexuals are still allowed civil unions. Sure, here in California, civil unions and marriages are pretty much the same, but that means that here, it's about respect. But think about it, civil unions in other places are so restrictive and straining because they're so different from actual marriages.
I just don't understand why heterosexuals are so adamant about not allowing homosexuals the same right to marry whomever they choose to be with.....seriously, please explain this to me!
~Kimiya Bahmanyar (Sorry, have to say this: First post!)

Aly C. said...

Kimiya...While I 100%, completely agree with you, I did some research to try to figure out why people felt so strongly about voting yes on 8.

I think the main reason that so many people voted yes on 8 is because of the "gay marriage will be taught in schools" crap (excuse my language)

Commercials explained that voting yes on prop 8 would do 3 simple things:

It restores the definition of marriage to what the vast majority of California voters already approved and what Californians agree should be supported, not undermined.

It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people.

It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage, and prevents other consequences to Californians who will be forced to not just be tolerant of gay lifestyles, but face mandatory compliance regardless of their personal beliefs.

I mean really, how can people believe this?

For more info check out this pro prop 8 website:
http://www.protectmarriage.com/

Anonymous said...

Although the protest has died down im so happy that everyone is regrouping. More logic please...everyone!!!

im glad supporters of gay marriage are reexamine their strategies. this issue cannot burn out and die. discrimination is NOT okay, in whatever form. since when did we vote on freedom? correct me if im wrong...i dont think we voted on traditional marriage.. since when did we vote on someone's personal choices...everyone use logic. reason over passion!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh and kimiya...i totally agree with you. its like why do you care..you're not the one being married. but i guess the ones that are against gays being acknowledged with a legitimate marriage is being they want THEIR marriage to be SACRED and TRADITIONAL.oo0o0o their marriage has to be perfect and untainted. b/c gays are soooooo not sacred and they don't deserve the ' pursuit of happiness '. nope. only heterosexuals!


like honestly people -_-

Albert A said...

I personally believe that our society has progressed into a more liberal one. I was impressed by the fact that this bill passed.

I am catholic, and voted no on 8. It does not really have an effect in my life, but if it makes them happy, let others be happy.

On the other hand, i know many religious people from my religion and others, that voted no. I am very sure though, that when our generation gets some more power, "change" will come.

LindsayMcMurdo said...

I am very happy to know that people are regrouping and the protests I feel are helping. It still doesnt make sense to me why people are voting yes.. well apparently so it is not taught in schools but that sounds like more of an excuse than anything. People really need to stop discriminating and marriage is marriage; It shouldnt matter if you are gay or straight people should be able to marry they people that they love.