Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yay! It's Veterans Day

Ninety years ago, World War I ended with the Germans signing the Armistice on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Today, we celebrate and honor the services of those who served in our country's military. It is interesting to know that another name for World War I was the War to End All Wars, but it has evidently failed to do so. Nonetheless, today remains the day to pay our respects to veterans, in both wartime and peacetime. Whether or not you agree with United State's current involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq, it is important to recognize the sacrifices that soldiers give to their country. 

Anyhoo, enjoy your holiday and may God bless America. 

Here is George C. Scott's rendition of Patton's famous speech to the members of the Third Army. 

Caution: Strong Language


4 comments:

Colby said...

Nelson, your a jingo, remember jingoism? yeah that's you.
Jingo, Jingo, Jingo!

Nelson Cheung said...

No, I doubt that I am a person who believes in "extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy." My post was intended as a show of respect to the veterans who served in the military with valor. It is NOT intended to glorify war or promote the idea that it is right for us to have a "belligerent foreign policy." I find your comment to be stinging because I never considered myself to be a jingoist. I find wars to be an absolute waste of human lives and being an aggressive nation would bring us closer to our own self-destruction.

Colby said...

I didn't mean for it to sting so hard. But I still don't understand why you posted the Patton video with Ol' Blood and Guts telling his audience how America is going to kick some ass.

Nelson Cheung said...

Yes, I do realize the somewhat odd nature of the video. I hope I could explain the rationale behind posting the video below.
It is true that Patton's speech reflects a deep belief in militarism, but this is not the point I was trying to make. The point I was trying to make comes at the very end of the video, where the normally vocal general quiets down. It's important to note that he is talking to American soldiers, many of which won't survive the fight against the Nazis. It was the humility that the general expressed at the end of the speech that made me decide to post this video. What he and his army is going to do (killing other human beings) is not morally correct, but they were willing to sacrifice themselves for their country. I believe it is the veteran's sense of self-sacrifice and duty to serve that we should pay respects to on Veterans Day.