Sunday, December 26, 2010

Suing E-mail spammers as a LIVING?

Daniel Balsam quit his job eight years ago after receiving numerous spam e-mails and created his own website called danhatesspam.com. He then decided to go to law school and graduated from University of California Hastings College of law. Before he even graduated from law school, he filed numerous law suits regarding e-mail spammers.

Balsam says that "I feel like I'm doing a little bit of good cleaning up the Internet," which he is because he is suing companies that offer cheap drugs, free sex, unbelievable vacations, etc. By filing law suits against e-mail spammers, he is basically saving many individuals from having their e-mails flooded with unwanted spam.

The number of victories that Balsam won has allowed him to make enough for a living with an excess $1 million with filing law suits against companies that send illegal spam. San Mateo Superior Court Judge Marie Weiner has also ordered a company to pay Balsam $7000 because the company has over 100 e-mails and recipients are unable to stop them. Even though there are some companies that are fighting back, Balsam responds to them with "I feel comfortable doing what I'm doing... and I'm not going away."

Filing law suits to companies that send spam e-mails is a great "career" that Balsam has because he can help cleanse the internet. Many younger individuals that have e-mails don't really need to be receiving e-mails about cheap drugs and what not so suing companies that are sending mass e-mails to people about inappropriate things is a great step in society! 

1 comment:

Eunice Chan said...

I think that this guy is pretty smart to go against email spamming because it affects all of us. I always receive spam mail and I even had so much in my previous email account that I decided to just open a new one. Companies that just promise ridiculous things need to go away and I'm glad that Daniel Balsam is on the case. In addition, some spam mail causes a virus in computers. I don't open my spam mail, but sometimes spam mail looks deceiving and it made to look like it's not spam. During these times, when people unknowingly open the mail, viruses can get through to their computer. Hopefully more companies sending spam to everyone will be sued so that we can have less spam mail in our inboxes.