Friday, October 19, 2012

The End of the Computer Age

I have a computer. If you're reading this, you probably have a computer or have access to one. But it might not be the computer I'm thinking about. The computer I'm thinking about is the one with a nice screen from 14 to 17 inches with a nice keyboard to boot. However, these days I feel those things I have come to love from my childhood have become obsolete. Why? It is because of the growing phone market.

Iphones and android phones have taken the world a storm with people using them as pseudo-computers. And the news has taken note of it. KCBS radio's market watch noted the drop in two big computer chip companies AMD and Intel. AMD fell into the bigger slump since it was always number 2 and it did not jump on the phone chip market. AMD stocks have been dropping since the market crash of 2008 from 40 dollars. It went all the way down to 2 dollars, but recently it was steadily coming back up from that slump. It eventually reached a steady 8 dollars (which unfortunately I bought at) then plunged back into the 2s. Intel has not been hit as hard, but is noticeably dropped from a year ago.

It might be time to say good bye to the computer age. The coming generation is an age that is going to be dominated by phones and tablets. Ipad's have been the want of this generation just like a laptop computer was the want of our generation. Even though I say its the end of the computer generation, it might actually be the start of the second computer generation. Tablets and phones have better processing powers than my computer did even 3 years ago. It's sad really to see the things we wanted so much disappear. At least that is my sentiment and I wonder if anyone holds it as well. Finally, if you decide to buy stocks, a definitive stay away from AMD and intel is probably a good idea. (Microsoft has other retail and they have dividend, so for you MSFT stock holders, you should be good).


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Smart phones are on the rise, but that in no way means computers are going down. I, for one, am absolutely certain that I like my large monitor and keyboard and everything that's hooked up to my computer that won't work with phones. When phones get big enough for me to see clearly and fancy enough to hook up to my scanner, printer, tablet, and everything else, they won't be the portable things that they are. They'll basically be computers. And since computers already have the market for computers, it's useless to make phones do the exact same function. I'm pretty sure that many others also enjoy the comfort of computers for when they can sit in a relaxed setting. I suppose AMD might be doomed but the computer industry isn't.

Unknown said...

I do feel like smart phones are becoming increasing popular over the years, however saying "goodbye to the computer age" might me a little too extreme. Smart phones/ tablets are an excellent tools for surfing the internet, but I would find it difficult to write an essay on a smart phone. Overall, the smart phone has some benefits but it also has some flaws as well (like typing difficulties and having a small screen) and the "end of the computer age" won't come until these flaws are fixed.

Unknown said...

Well, it is nice to take a break from the political spin that has dominated the media for a while, especially with the election closing up. Anyway, I agree with Eddie and Tina. While Apple and Google have gotten hundreds of people into the smartphone revolution, it is far too early to predict the death of the computer. The smartphone is mainly a phone with other features to keep you happy. A computer is meant for more complicated processes such as creating Excel graphs or Word Documents.

As The Observer notes, "reports of the death of the PC are greatly exaggerated." The future is always in motion and it would be rash to just toss away the computer. As Eddie noted, it would be difficult to write an essay on the smartphone. The screen is much too small and the task would be tedious. It would be like digging in a garden with a teaspoon when you could use a shovel.

Believing that a phone could ever replace a computer would require much more evidence for me to swallow. Why do some people feel so keen to ditch the PC? It has not failed consumers to any significant degree. Computer Science still exists. Futurists simply infer that the release of new technology automatically means the old must die, which I find untrue.

In the end, you do not have to take my word for it. Go try out a smartphone and computer and make your own choice. However, I would recommend keeping an eye out for bookstores. Now that is an actual possibility.

Marc Reichenberger said...

This was definitely an interesting read, although I'm not sure how realistic some of these assumptions are. Computers are capable of doing so much more than iPhones or other types of smartphones, such as programming, word processing, or gaming. Smartphones are still nowhere near the capability level of your average home computer in terms of processing power or graphics. I think the idea that eventually computers will be completely obsolete, replaced by phones, isn't realistic. Smartphones need to be compact, yet have all the functions of traditional phones as well as all the features most smartphones have to offer. Modern technology is not advanced enough to put all the useful functions of a computer on a handheld device.