Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Both Obama and Romney released new videos yesterday. What makes these videos interesting is that they are both directed toward Hispanic voters. Romney's video is spoken in English with Spanish subtitles. It criticizes Obama's policies towards small businesses and talks about how his policies have been negatively effecting the Hispanic community. On the other hand, Obama's video is spoken completely in Spanish and talks about the youth of the Hispanic community and how he is inspired by their bravery and hard work.
Will the fact that Obama's ad was in Spanish increase his popularity among Hispanic voters?

 Or will Romney's mudslinging ad earn him more support because of its criticism of the current economy?
Which video do you think will be the most influential in the long run?

3 comments:

Sam Alavi said...

Though the efforts to win the hispanic vote are nice, I'm curious to see how many minds they can sway at this point in the race. I definitely feel like Obama's video was much better, seeing that his accent is so much better than any non-native spanish speaker I have met. Obama's effort shows in the video, and I think he wins brownie points for that.

Unknown said...

Now, I'm hardly qualified to know exactly what Hispanic voters are thinking, but I, like Sam, was more impressed with Obama's video. It's one thing to slap some subtitles on a mostly generic mudslinging ad, its another to learn the Spanish for an entire (very wordy) ad. Beyond the effort levels involved, Obama's ad was actually complimentary towards the Hispanic community, which I think would be reassuring to Hispanic voters who are uncomfortable with the often anti-Hispanic bent of some Republican rhetoric.

Eavan Huth said...

I agree with Rachel and Sam--in my opinion, Obama's video shows much more effort, and I appreciate that he discusses positive points about the Hispanic community rather than bashing Romney. A leader should win an election not because his or her opponent is wrong, but because he or she is right.
Also, I must say, Romney comes off as a hypocrite to me in saying that because it seems that policies he supports (or does not support, in the case of the Dream Act) do not support the Hispanic community at all.