Sunday, March 6, 2011

Who wants to be on the Real Housewives of San Francisco?


I simply could not believe Bravo would consider ANOTHER Real Housewives, especially HERE. For all of you not familiar with the Bravo's hit franchise, the Real Housewives... I'll give you a brief rundown. The concept is a "reality" show based on the lives of 5-6 "fabulous" cougars/gold-diggers who flip tables or throw wine at their cast mates, try and convince us that they are oh so busy taking care of their kids, husbands, and maintaining a demand career of selling Avon products or the like, and other strange means of self-promotion. There are at least 5? 7? versions of this across the country, and all of them filled with drama-trauma princesses who are, simply put, TRASH. I first found the show entertaining until 2-3 years ago when the drama was enough...

I remember joking about how I would totally watch a Real Housewives of San Francisco filled with eco-conscious women ride the steep hills of San Francisco on bikes to shop at high-end Farmer Markets, buy pricey vegan shoes and have passive-agressive encounters with their fellow castmates who were also their former lovers in the 70's-80's. Or it would be a tense Palo Alto/ Los Gatos drama of housewives living vicariously through their overachieving children.

I don't think this area has the type of people or audience interest to yield trashy drama. When you think of the Bay Area, especially SF, you think tolerance, pride at being any minority, intellectual awareness, Silicon Valley, or Oakland. Do you think the Real Housewives of San Francisco would work? Also are you sick and tired of these shows?

2 comments:

Gurjote said...

I'm not sure if San Francisco is the place for another "Real Housewives" to take place, but hey, I'm definetly going to tune in to watch it! I'm not sure how well the housewives of San Francisco will compare to the lovely ladies of New Jersey or Beverly Hills, but it's definetly got me curious.

I do agree, to an extent, that these women are "trash" but it's the most interesting trash (aside from Jersey Shore) that I've ever seen. Bravo is getting a bit carried away with the Real Housewives show, but I guess they just want to make the most money they can. I'm not really getting sick of all the Real Housewives because they really get themselves into odd and nail-biting situations.

I don't think San Francisco is the best place for Bravo TV to get its trashiest housewives but maybe they're trying to appeal to a wider range of people. The Real Housewives of D.C. weren't too trashy (asides from the White House crashers) and maybe some people like that more than the trashy shows. Either way, I'm very excited to see what happens!

Jessia H said...

I don't understand how any self-respecting woman could want to be on this show...

However, the reality is that plenty of women would practically kill for a spot on the show, even here in the Bay Area. Think about how many people around here watch the shows! Although we like to think that our niche of the country is so progressive, we're pretty similar to other Americans when it comes down to it...