Sunday, January 15, 2012

Titanic in Italy?

I'm sure you've all heard about the Costa Concordia's crash, which has now been spread all over the web.  The ship was on a trip around the Mediterranean when it hit a reef near the Isola del Giglio off the coast of Italy.  The crashed cruise ship is being compared to the Titanic, which I found to be interesting.  Although, the results were not nearly as catastrophic- 8 people were found dead, less than 50 missing people and around 30 injured people.  However, the captain of the cruise ship was charged with manslaughter for abandoning ship,  locals had to house many of the cruise ship passengers, 4,000 people on the coast of Italy had to be evacuated and total costs have not been determined.  What do you guys think about the crash?  Do you think the costs will at all effect us, that the captain should have been charged for manslaughter?  


4 comments:

ReikoHuffman said...

I really don't see how this could be equivalent to the disaster of the Titatic because of the clear difference in severity. However, my opinion on this situation is confused because I don't know if the captain abandoning the ship is necessarily manslaughter. If anything he was trying to save himself, which, yes, is selfish, but what would you want him to do? My question though is that there wasn't a single crew member or staff who knew what to do in a time of crisis? I don't believe that this was entirely the captain's fault, but in times of emergency chaos is everywhere and it seems that the easiest solution was to blame the captain.

Jennifer Nguyen said...

I agree with Reiko. I don't understand how the captain abandoning ship is equivalent to manslaughter. The only way I could see it being manslaughter is if he didn't tell anyone that the ship was sinking or in trouble and just decided to jump off regardless. I can't really accurately judge the situation unless I know all of the facts. For example, if the captain informed the passengers that the ship was sinking and where the safety equipment could be located, I don't see how he should be charged with manslaughter. However, if he didn't tell anyone and just took the safety equipment and left, then I can see how it would have been reckless and he should be charged with a crime.

Also, I think that this could possibly effect the U.S. and our economy. Whether we think about it or not, the U.S. does have economic exchanges with Italy. If this accident severely harms Italy's economy, then this could effect our economy as well (though, I would assume not as drastically).

robertbaiata said...

I dont believe that the captain should have been charged with manslaughter. I would have left the boat too. its sinking i wouldnt wait for everyone to just get off the boat its basically every man for him self when a disaster like this happens. I also agree with what reiko said it was easier to just blame the captain for the whole thing

Timothy Leung said...

The reason why the captain was charged for abandoning ship and manslaughter was because he is supposed to be in charge of evacuation procedures and make sure all of the guests and crew were safely boarded on lifeboats. Instead he jumped ship first. Not only is it cowardly, he did not fulfill his responsibilities as captain.