Monday, January 16, 2012

French Couple Prosecuted For Naming Their Son After A Vampire

French Couple Sued For Naming Son After A TV Character

This is just an interesting tidbit I found while browsing the web. To sum it up, a French couple was sued for naming their newborn son after Damon, a character from the CW series The Vampire Diaries, on the grounds that the name was satanic and "contrary to [the child's] interests". Fortunately for the couple, the charges were dropped.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxsuekAaJ21qzpwi0o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1326852447&Signature=KHV6LOJpBwFlyFmognsdf8VapLA%3D

I found this story pretty amusing, and insightful to the differing definition of 'acceptable actions' in foreign societies. I also thought this story was a good example of the varying levels of governmental interference in citizens' personal lives.


5 comments:

Pam O said...

That is absolute nonsense. Would they have prosecuted the family in Alabama, USA that named their kid Adolf Hitler?

PatrickG said...

I could not stop laughing after I read this and I am still laughing. This is just so completely ridiculous that I honestly don't know what to say. Why would you sue someone for naming their child (Adolf Hitler obviously excluded)? I'll close by saying someone now has to name one of their children after the werewolves in Twilight.

Alyssa_Block said...

As someone who follows this TV series, I cannot help but commenting on this rather amusing post. I find this to be absolutely hilarious :). Patrick reminds us that there is a fine line between naming a child after someone like Hitler and naming a child after a TV character. I am sure many of us reading this article are share a name with a TV character, celebrity, or historical figure who did some bad or questionable things. But Keaton brings up a good point to consider this kind of government intervention. This seems a little bit extreme to me, especially since there are surely other people named Damon in the world who have done incredible things. And just to throw this in, Damon is not really much of a villain on the show anymore :) :)

Shawn Murphy-Hockett said...

I completely agree with Alyssa. Obviously naming a child after Hitler should receive some attention, but naming a child after a teenage television show should hardly receive any attention whatsoever. There are thousands of other people in the world named Damon, regardless of the vampire diaries. I watch this show too and Damon is definitely not satanic, and is a very um...loving...vampire...

Taylor Scherer said...

I agree with previous comments that this is definitely absurd. Why should people get criticized, even sued, for naming their child as they like? That is their personal business that no one else has any reason to play a part in. I guess that just goes to show how much more extreme other countries' control is.