Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tax Day on the 18th?!


That’s right! Tax Day this year has been pushed three days from its typical date on April 15.

The reason? A Washington, D.C., holiday called Emancipation Day, created to celebrate the freeing of slaves in the district. Although Emancipation Day falls this year on April 16, it is being observed on the 15th, which is a Friday. And filing deadlines cannot be on Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays. So, the 18th it is!

Well, I can name one person who’s happy about the change: my brother. Normally, Tax Day is his birthday; a day which, as he learned at a very young age, makes many Americans depressed. And it’s no fun to have depressed people at your birthday party.

Does anyone else have any feelings, positive or negative, about the change? Is anyone surprised that they had never heard of Emancipation Day?

4 comments:

Danielle Hassid said...

I have never heard of Emancipation Day either, but probably because it is only specified to D.C. It's probably the only holiday left that retail stores haven't completely commercialized to get people in their doors, or maybe they do have emancipation day sales? Sounds a bit ironic in my opinion.

ACatiggay said...

Well seeing as we don't have to pay taxes yet, I could kind of care less...however, it might prove very good for me since my parents always (especially my dad) about taxes...maybe it'll give him extra breathing room to get it done...or just prolong the agony...

Kathy Shield said...

Interestingly though, many people (including my parents) don't even pay their taxes on the 15th. Instead, they file just one form requesting a tax extension. And then, there are all the people who file their taxes early (aka: don't procrastinate). Though its interesting, and abnormal, I'm not sure why so many in the media are making a big deal of the change.

Ariana Sacchi said...

I have never heard of Emancipation Day. I think it's a good idea to push Tax Day to the 18th because it will give time to those who proscratinate and hopefully will get everything done and in order by that day. I think tax payers should be happy about this. :)