Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Obama's State of the Union Address

This Tuesday evening, President Obama talked about several issues that are affecting the US nation. He talked about tax cuts, improving education, and how to stimulate the economy. He also talked about how the deficit can slowly start to decrease throughout the nearby years and also stop the enormous amount of money that is being spent by the government.

A very important statement made by the president this evening was, "We will move forward together or not at all." Personally, I think he is right because if both party, Democrats and Republicans, do not work together, then not much will get resloved and our nation will continue with its current problems.

To achieve the political goals he set, he knows that spending is required in order to improve the technology, research, and education in our state. This is why he wants to cut down spending in other areas where he feels that it's unnecessary to spend such a huge amount of money which is not helping the growth and prosperity of our country.

The president directed the following quote to lawmakers in the audience: "The future is ours to win."

Obama focused a lot of the time on creating new jobs for those who are unemployed at the moment. He also focused on the war in Iraq and he said, "This year, our civilians will forge a lasting partnership with the Iraqi people while we finish the job of bringing our troops out of Iraq." Hopefully, Obama will oblige by these words and do everything that's necessary to bring our troops home after a war that has lasted almost a decade.

Some of the issues Obama did not address during this evening's State of the Union were gun control, global climate change, and the effort to promote and secure peace in the Middle East. The issues he focused very little time on were national security and the immigration reform, which he promised since his campaign back in the 2008 elections, when he was running for president. Personally, I felt like he should have talked more about the immigration reform and what he intends to do in order to improve the immigration situation in this nation rather than focus almost all of his speech on how to improve and strengthen the economy. I really hope Obama can do something to improve this issue that affects so many families living in this country.

So, let me know what you guys thought about the State of the Union, if you watched it. What did you think about the issues that Obama talked about? Do you think he will really achieve all of these goals along with members from both parties? Do you think members from both parties will cooperate with him on the issues he mentioned tonight? How long do you think it will take to really improve and boost the economy in our nation?

This is my last post and I just want to say that I enjoyed posting for all of you. Thank you to all of you who read my posts and commented on them. I enjoyed reading your comments and responding to some of them. Looking forward to reading posts and commenting on them, provided by those who have not yet blogged!! :)

1 comment:

Courtnia said...

I thought that Obama did a really amazing job in his speech. I thought that he was extremely articulate in his ideas and overall was really inspiring. I noticed throughout his speech that he strongly emphasized unity. Although he is a Democrat, he emphasized the fact that we are all Americans and that we all need to come together to improve the country. I thought it was interesting that he focused on winning the future, and compared the US to other countries, such as China. Although I myself am not extremely preoccupied with what ranking we have, I appreciate that Obama is trying to unite the country towards a common goal of winning the future. By bringing in an almost competitive edge, I think Obama hopes to rally the people to work harder for their country.
I thought that Obama covered some very important topics in his address, although I agree that he did leave some out. His speech was not filled with solutions and plans, and I think that left some room for question. I agree with you in that I am still unsure about Obama's immigration policy, and would have liked to hear more about it. However, I thought Obama did do a good job explaining his plans for the topics that he did address. I especially liked Obama's emphasis on the importance of education. Promoting better schools and teachers is always something that people can agree on. However, (as we had mentioned in class) I thought it was strange that he only emphasized math and science teachers when english and history and all other teachers are just as important.

Overall, I thought that Obama's State of the Union Address was very well crafted and articulated. Although there was a lack of information on some key points, I thought that he fully addressed the most important issues.