Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Insert Change Here"


I found this political cartoon off of another blog and I thought it was funny because of the great double play on the word "change." Just looking at the cartoon, I wouldn't agree with the connotation of the image because Obama is trying to make huge change for the better and it will take lots of money, just look at Roosevelt and the New Deal. The blog, however, talked about A.I.G.. In this case, I would have to agree with the cartoon because A.I.G. did "[dig] a $170 billion hole" and A.I.G. didn't deserve to get the money that it did. But it's hard to just let a big company die when so many people are affiliated with it.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Charlie Pai said...

The problem with AIG was not because of having many people affiliated with it. The problem was that if AIG died, the entire economy would tank. Of course AIG didn't deserve the money, but if the government didn't save them, I'm guessing that we would be in an even worse position than we are right now.

About the spending, it is important to note that the New Deal was unable to bring the United States completely out of the Great Depression. Only WWII brought back full economic activity, mostly due to even more massive government spending. We cannot do that right now, since the government is way too far down in the hole. I'm not exactly sure if huge domestic change is worth more than just bringing back the economy.

capper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casper Lau said...

If you ask me I think that Obama's first couple months was trying to to bring "change" to the healthcare system, and he therefore spent little time on saving the economy before it was too late.

Alexia Carrasco said...

I think what the cartoon is saying that, all though Obama has been trying to make money,not much is being put in. He's trying to change other laws to help keep the economy from going in a worse state. You put your hand inside it and you barely get anything out from it.He made promises to the country and is trying to fulfill them in a way that is not entirely impossible but very hard to do in the state the economy was before he was voted into the White House.