Sunday, September 19, 2010

Christine O'Donnell and her "witchcraft"


There has been a lot of talk lately about the Tea Party and its surprising strength. Christine O'Donnell is the name often associated with this party; she is the Delaware GOP party candidate. Reflecting the conservative views of her party, she has been gaining lots of popularity and hopes to gain a seat in the Senate.

.... and she "dabbled into witchcraft"? When I saw this, I was not sure how to react. This old television clip shows her saying that not only did she experiment with witchcraft, but had a picnic on a "satanic altar." Watch the video above for more details. Should we be worried? I think no. Although this is strange and may be somewhat disturbing to some, it probably does not mean much. Everyone has their interesting backgrounds and she was a crazy teenager at one point like everyone else. Now, if this had been a more recent event, I would be a little worried. However, I am sure that she is no longer attached to these witchcraft ideals. People are always able to dig up dirt in politicians' backgrounds, and I don't think that this clip should be held against her. However, initially, I was extremely shocked.

6 comments:

Cris Madrigal said...

Anything that is said/ done in the past will always be used against politicians. Also in my belief shes already crazy for being part of the tea party, so this reinforces my idea of the idiotic and nonsensical ideas of the party. What legitimate party would let someone with such a radical background run for a senate seat, when in all aspects she will lose the general election.

Eunice Chan said...

This is pretty shocking..upon reading that she was into witchcraft in the past, I have to admit that my views of Christine O'Donnell aren't necessarily good. But then again, she IS in the tea party, which is pretty radical in itself.

In addition, although we shouldn't judge someone based on their past, it's rings true that one's past has an impact on their future. I think that while many will let this pass and hold no judgment on Christine O'Donnell just because of her past, many other Americans will see this as even more reason to not support her.

ACatiggay said...

Oh my goodness! I know that there is freedom of religion, but I think that the news of her witchcraft escapades and past is going to hinder her performance in her campaigning season. However, the fact that her past was revealed is pretty low and the media - heightened attention on the issue of course will make her lose many supporters. I guess the lesson learned is, when in politics or any sort of realm that is ripped apart by the media, don't have a "past" that is scandalous. Be boring...don't be different! How sad...but that's the only thing she can learn from her actions.

Sam Kennedy said...

I'm all for letting the past be past, but we've got a person that has at least some influence on the country, and she dabbled in witchcraft?

Let me rephrase that.

We've got a person that has some influence on the country, and she believes in witchcraft?

Really? I know I'm biased because of the whole atheist thing. But can we at least all agree that there probably isn't witchcraft, and that maybe it isn't a good idea to put power in the hands of someone that might try to divine the right course for the state by reading a chicken's entrails?

Gurjote said...

I agree with Cris that anything in the past will be used in politics. When I first saw the clip, I was a little alarmed, but it was way back in the past when she was younger and probably a little more naive. America should not judge her by the weird things she did in high school, but rather by what she wants to do for America.

Reading Alex's comment made me realize that being different sometimes is not the best thing to do. As sad as it sounds, it's true. People don't like things straying from the norm. They want a normal person leading their country or making the decisions for their country. I don't judge Christine O'Donnell for her decision to play with witchcraft but I don't think it was her best decision to be so free with it.

Andrea Nelson said...

I also agree with Courtney and some of the other people who commented...if you are running for anything in the political world, your background is going to be teared up into pieces and anything that could destroy you will be used against you! I dont think that we have to worry about Christine O'Donnell and her witchcraft becaus that interview was in 1999, 11 years ago. I personally do not believe in witchcraft so i dont think it is anything to really fuse over> She was also younger then and people do some stuff in their past that they aren't always going to be proud of.