Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Did PG&E Do Enough?



As we all know, there was a catastrophic gas line explosion in San Bruno a couple of weeks ago that was very tragic and devastating. No one debates that fact. But now that we have acknowledge what happened, it is time to look at what happened and analyze what could have been done and/or what should be done now. Unlike the BP in the gulf Oil Spill which caused months worth of "exciting" news for the media to report, in my opinion, PG&E has taken ownership of the problem and has taken appropriate action to counter their mistake.

I don't believe that PG&E was negligent in its handling of the situation. According to fire crews, PG&E was extremely helpful in fixing the immediate problem. Despite this, many people claim that they had reported leaking gas to PG&E without much effect or action on its part. However, at this point, nobody really knows the FACTS, and most claims against PG&E are merely alleged. That is something I cannot make judgment on. State Sen. Mark Leno has vowed to investigate said allegations to see if PG&E needs to be held to more punishments.
To remedy the situation, PG&E gave $100 Million to residents affected by the explosion which, to be honest, doesn't translate to much per household. This to me is very honorable of PG&E and I'm glad they voluntarily paid and took ownership, but to be honest, I don't know how/if that money will translate to the residents affected. I hope that PG&E remains to be faithful to fixing this situation and I hope that they continue to take responsibility for this fiasco. In the meantime I respect what PG&E has already done and I hope it continues such efforts.

Love, The Power Gay

P.S. In case you haven't seen my comments from my previous post, I hope nobody was offended by either the title or anything said in the article. I agree, the tone was rather snarky and forward and perhaps too blunt. But I stand behind the content of what was said, if not the manner in which it was presented. My intention was not to insult anybody, but as Mr. Silton correctly observed "Your intention doesn't mean jack" (irony duly noted ;) ). If you were offended PLEASE let me know so we can have a nice productive conversation on the subject. And again, my sincerest apologies if you were offended. Furthermore, the face-lift line was a JOKE. Materialistic and shallow as it was, that's my kind of humor and I'm sorry if you don't subscribe to said style. Anyway, peace 'yall.

4 comments:

Gurjote said...

I'm happy that PG&E is taking credit for this catastrophe, and I'm happy to hear that they gave money to the residents who were affected. Compared to the BP oil spill, PG&E acted pretty quickly. I hope that they don't make a mistake like this again because what people lost is worth more than any amount of money. It is necessary for PG&E to continue to help and for people like us to help too.

Bobby John said...

I have to raise an eyebrow when I hear people say things such as, "We burn a couple of books and they decide to set San Bruno on fire."

I also feel as if PG&E must keep their buyers happy, otherwise an entrepreneur may come in to ride the coat tails of the publics negative outlook on PG&E and create a rival company.

Jason Galisatus said...

Right and to add onto that, Bobby, PG&E tried to pass the ballot measure that would essentially grant them a monopoly on utilities. Furthermore, although they may have external reasons behind doing good, the bottom line is they are trying to fix the problem so props to them, regardless of what their ulterior motives may have been.

Joshua Chan said...

PG&E definitely did not do enough. Residents of San Bruno were already complaining that there was a problem with the gas line and PG&E ignored them. Now, with this HUGE situation that they have to face, PG&E will have to bring out its finest lawyers to argue their case. I can't wait to see what their response will be.