Saturday, February 6, 2010

The SUPERBOWL!!!

So as we all (hopefully) know, this Sunday is the Superbowl. It looks like it is going to be a good game this year, I mean the Colts v. the Saints? It could be a pretty close game! But the even crazier thing involving the Superbowl is not the actual game or the players, but rather the Superbowl commercials. Did you all know that a 30 second commercial costs about a little over 3 million dollars!?!?! I cannot imagine paying 3 million dollars for just 30 seconds. But I guess that the Superbowl commercials have become so well known and so powerful and viewed, that people are willing to pay the price. These commercials are often very clever, and are always widely anticipated. There's almost as much hype about these as the actual game! OK well this was just a little aside for you all. Wonder who you all are rooting for. Personally I love Peyton Manning, and might be rooting for the Colts, but I also like Reggie Bush, so I could be ok with a Saints win.

-Jane Hayashi-

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm personally an underdog type person, so I'll definitely be rooting for Bush and the Saints in the Superbowl... but I have my doubts as to whether they can beat the Manning and the Colts.

As for commercials, I was reading in the Chronicle about how Pepsi, for the first time in 23 years, and after spending a reported $254 million on Superbown ads, won't have a Superbowl ad this year. Instead, they're putting their money into an online campaign, which might be a good strategy given the previous successes of online campaigning.

mcchan92 said...

What's special about this year's Superbowl is that it is the first Superbowl appearance for the Saints. Furthermore, it comes four years after New Orleans was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Since Katrina, the success the Saints have had while playing has proven to be effective in bringing together the people of New Orleans and improving their spirits. If the Saints win the Superbowl, it could mean a big turnaround for the Saints and the people of New Orleans. But regardless, look for a close match between both teams.

Andrew said...

And I'll be playing L4D2 ... or MW2 ... can't decide :S

Noelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noelle said...

The Saints won! I was definitely rooting for them since they were the underdog! It kept going back and forth though, I was getting a little scared for some time! It is the Saints first superbowl win ever, so it's a moment in history we all witnessed if you watched it!!

SethXY said...

i can totally understand why the pricetag of a superbowl commercial is 3 million. firstly, the superbowl is one of the most watched television events of the year so everyone is watching. secondly, commercials have been statistically proven to work so therefore having the largest audience possible will increase sales and actually make a profit for the advertising company. lastly, these commercials have become a tradition and any company that can afford to have an advertisement in the superbowl is making quite a statement.

Georgia Thomas said...

I thought the pro-life commercial with tim tebow was an intresting choice for a superbowl commerical. Most of the commercials are for doritos, or beer not touchy subjects like abortion. Maybe this is going to be a trend in the future to have more politically charged commercials.

Jenny Yeonhee Park said...

Every year I watch the superbowl more for the commercials than the actual game... I had no idea that they cost that much.

This year though, I couldn't watch the superbowl because I had to do a project on the physiology of angiosperms for ap bio with victor fong and caity w. and a junior. Still fun, but this year I actually had a team I was passionate for. the COLTS. I'm from Minnesota and the Vikings lost to the Saints not because they were the worse team but because the Saints got lucky... I thought the Vikings were the best this year, then the Colts, then the Saints... Lucky Saints...