Monday, February 15, 2010

Slam Dunk Disappointment (and other thoughts about All-Star weekend)

For anyone following All-Star weekend, what did you guys think?
In my opinion, the whole event has gone downhill...

The game itself is not competitive; it's merely a game in which all the major stars try and make fancy shots and completely ignore the concept of defense. I love watching Steve Nash and Dwayne Wade (MVP!) play, but the game is itself was boring and anticlimactic.

The most disappointing component for me, however, wasn't even the game. The major disappointment was the slam dunk contest.
It wasn't even the fact that Nate Robinson won (I was rooting for DeMar DeRozan). It was the lack of creativity and execution. What ever happened to dunkers like Spud Webb, or Michael Jordan, or even Dwight few years ago. Even the text voting to win has caused the competition to be less competitive in my opinion, since a popular star, or one from a highly tuned in and populated area (cough,LA,cough) might win even if he didn't have the best dunk.
Basically though, both Robinson and DeRozan didn't have great dunks, didn't even have really good dunks, and as someone who loves watching the dunk contest every year, I was not impressed at all (and neither was Charles Barkley).

On a happier note, Stephen Curry did well in the three-point shooting contest, winning the first round and then coming in second to Paul Pierce in the finals. Next year, though, I'm hoping to see Anthony Morrow, who has a higher 3-point shooting percentage than either Curry or Pierce. Or anyone else in the competition for that matter.

Some highlights for me were: the Rookies finally beating the Sophomores, Nash winning the skills contest, and Kenny Smith winning the three on three shooting contest, and of course, seeing Charles Barkley's ridiculous Taco Bell commercial at every break.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I do agree that defense is almost completely ignored during the All-Star game, but I think that fans want and expect to see a huge offensive outpouring from what should be the game's top players. However, I don't really think the game was anticlimactic, the East did only win by 2 points.

The dunk contest was a major dud. Next year I hope to see Lebron in it and Dwight Howard back again.

Chris said...

I was very disappointed about the All-Star Weekend. The worst was the dunk contest. It was not even exciting this year. The only interesting thing was they had a record amount of people attend an All-Star Game, and I thought that was pretty interesting.