Saturday, February 20, 2010

Does counting sheep really help you fall asleep?

According to a study conducted by scientists at Oxford University, counting sheep does not help you fall asleep faster.

In the study, the researchers split the subjects into several groups. The groups were instructed to try several techniques for falling asleep, and their sleep habits were observed over the course of the experiment. The researchers found that the subjects fell asleep an average of 20 minutes sooner when instructed to imagine a relaxing scene, like a beach for example. When the subjects were instructed to count sheep, they fell asleep in about the same time as when given no instruction whatsoever. While people have long assumed that the sheer boringness of counting sheep is enough to lull anyone to sleep, the researchers have concluded that because counting sheep is so boring, people are not willing to focus on it for very long. Imagining an image of a beach is engaging and soothing at the same time.

5 comments:

Omid Dastgheib said...

I guess I should stop counting sheep from now on.

Talia Y. said...

this sounds like stats!
maybe it takes too much concentration to count sleep that the person cannot relax and fall asleep. Instead, he or she is forced to use more brain power to remember what number they on.....Interesting article!

Hen to the Ry said...

Yeah, this is pretty interesting, since counting sheep never works for me. I usually just give up because it's very boring to keep counting. It makes sense, though, since your brain wants to "tone it down" when sleeping, and more concentration will just make you more awake. Maybe if you listen to someone counting sheep, it'll be better. I usually also just imagine I'm flying when I'm trying to sleep.

-Henry Zhang

Lily said...

Counting sheep is actually really aggravating for me. I suppose the reason why is because I only try that method when I am really tired and desperate to go to sleep in which the numbers only give me longer hours of insomnia.

Goldie said...

THIS post is quite interesting! It seems to me that the people who were counting the sheeps may have been too involved and concentrated. Thus, this may cause them to not feel relaxed and their bodies may also feel tense and not stress-free